White Sox expected to claim Jim Thome on waivers

Aug 24, 2011, 9:39 AM EDT

Jim Thome Reuters

Buster Olney says that there is “a high expectation” that the White Sox will win the waiver claim on Jim Thome. Which, given that they’re the (marginal) contender in the AL with the worst record, makes sense.  I guess Shin-Soo Choo‘s dramatic home run yesterday ruined it for the Indians. Pity!

Thome is batting .253/.363/.495 with 12 homers in 234 plate appearances this season.  If the White Sox do claim him and can work out a trade, I presume Adam Dunn will suddenly suffer an “injury” of some sort to free up a roster spot.

In other news, I am going to introduce a resolution this morning that the an AL Central logo be created and that it’s primary feature be a portrait of a smiling Jim Thome.

1. yankeesgameday - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Nah, have it be Thome’s imposing batting stance but in silhouette like Jerry West is the logo of the NBA. Heck, I’d take that as the logo for major league baseball as a whole.

2. halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I’ll believe it when I see it. “Busta Olney” is wrong most of the time. He’s the same guy who recently said that the Nats put in a claim on Wandy Rodriguez. We later find out that this wasn’t the case and it was Rockies. I don’t know who this guy’s sources are, but he should find new ones.

• bigharold - Aug 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM

nats .. Rockies, .. same thing.

I think you’re being a little picky. Whoever said sports writers had to be accurate?

3. ptho16 - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Choo’s homer had nothing to do with it, the waiver order depends on the standings when the player is placed on waivers, so Monday when Thome was put on waivers the Indians were a half game up on Chicago regardless.

4. jnks10 - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM

What i would do to see Jim Thome in a phillies uniform A for obvious reasons but for B because Buster Olney were cry and whine like such a baby. Hence why he spent his day yesterday writing an aritcle about how bad it would be for baseball if the phillies got him but said the yankees (a team only 4 games behind and a higher payroll who always get who they want) could put a claim in no big deal.

• Bill - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Jeez, you Phillies fans are touchy. He didn’t say it would be bad for baseball, he said it would almost have to violate the rules baseball is subject to. Which it would.

And he included the Phillies in the same place he listed the Yankees, as teams that would be interested in putting in claims on him. Neither one ever had a chance in hell, given where they are on the waiver list.

• firedude7160 - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Would you care to explain how it would “violate the rules baseball is subject to?”

5. kcq101 - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM

How does Thome’s full no-trade clause factor into the whole waiver processe?

Particularly, despite the AL getting their first shot at him and the weaker teams in the NL, thereafter, could Thome exercise his no-trade clause to ultimately return to Philly?

It’s a “homer” of a question, I know. But, despite this, any insight into the whole process would be appreciated as I’m not too familiar with the waiver process, especially when it comes to the “power” of the no-trade clause.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

In the simplest scenario, Thome can veto any trade, ask to be released by the Twins, and sign as a free agent with the Phillies.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 24, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Cepts, Did you see Scott Hartnell caught a foul ball last night?

6. trevorb06 - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM

“See Adam THIS is how you hit a baseball”
    -Thome

7. The Baseball Gods - Aug 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM

There is no way he is going to the White Sox. Makes no sense for him whatsoever. The White Sox have no chance of winning the World Series and that is pretty much all Thome is looking for.

8. minnesconsin - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:27 PM

His hometown is Peoria, IL, so he may accept a deal back to Chicago, who knows? If I’m Thome, it still stings a bit that the White Sox gave up on me, I’m not sure I want to head back there, especially since they’re a long shot to make the playoffs. For Thome’s sake, I hope he vetoes the trade, is released, and lands with a real contender.

9. uscmd - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Thome’s slash line is as good as anyone in the A.L., since the all star game. Closest to him, is Matsui.

Thome’s hitting .299/.378/.598 with six home runs and 21 RBI since the All-Star break.

Matsui .361/.412/.526 with 5 hr and 27 rbi’s. So higher average, 1 less hr but 5 more rbi’s.

When you compare either to Dunn its a joke. Dunn .187/.302/.264. With 2 hr and 6 rbi’s.

I’m not a white sox fan, I live out of the area, so no idea how the local sportswriters are handling this season. But it sure seems to me Guillen has not done a very good job, playing or not playing the wrong guy in several different positions. E.g., looking at what you are not getting at 3b, yet Viciedo lingers in the minors. Until recently your best hitting outfielder can’t get playing time, while several guys are having career worst (or very close) years. Just imagine a lineup with lillibridge, viciedo and thome, among Ramirez, Quentin, Beckham, Konerko and Perzynski. Thats a lineup that would be a definite contender.

Frankly, I’m surprised Ozzie still has a job. How much longer does he get a pass for winning it all in ’05?

A managerial overanalysis epidemic