Yankees claim Carlos Pena off revocable waivers from Cubs

Aug 24, 2011, 5:41 PM EDT

Cubs Dodgers Baseball

Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Yankees have claimed Carlos Pena off recovable waivers, which means they have 48 hours to work out a potential trade with the Cubs.

Earlier today, before the Yankees were identified as the claiming team, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com speculated that the Cubs trading Pena was unlikely because he’s owed $5 million in salary that’s deferred until January and they might want to re-sign him for 2012.

As usual Pena has been productive despite a low batting average and tons of strikeouts, posting a .342 on-base percentage and .450 slugging percentage thanks to 23 homers, 19 doubles, and 74 walks in 124 games. He’s also a good defender at first base, although with Mark Teixeira not going anywhere the Yankees would be acquiring Pena to serve as their primary designated hitter.

Andruw Jones, Jorge Posada, and Eric Chavez have been splitting DH duties recently and overall this season the Yankees have gotten a .755 OPS out of the position to rank eighth among AL teams. Pena has topped a .755 OPS in eight of his nine full seasons, with last year’s .732 mark being the lone exception.

1. yankeesfanlen - Aug 24, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Errr….I was hoping for Jim Thome.

• yankeesgameday - Aug 24, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Me too, but they werent getting him.

2. yankeesgameday - Aug 24, 2011 at 6:06 PM

See, the Yanks are building for the World Series. Pena will DH against righties, splitting time with andruw Jones, but he is primarily going to be used as a late inning left handed home run threat off the bench in NL parks that the yanks are sorely missing.

He also gives them injury insurance for tex if he gets hurt like last year vs texas.

Even though he isn’t Thome, I don’t hate this at all.

3. amr5026 - Aug 24, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Since today is education day here, could someone explain the whole waivers process to me, please? I don’t mean what are waivers and what can happen with to a player on waivers. I get that. I mean the actual process. How does it really work?

I guess what I am really asking is, for example, say Cashman wants to place CC on waivers. Does he (or a peon) go to a computer and go to some special program and put his name into a “Waivers Database”? Does he pick up the phone and start calling (or texting) the other GMs in order? Does he send out a mass email? Does he email the Commish’s office and then his office sends out an email to all the teams? How exactly does the process work? How do the teams know who is and isn’t on waivers? How do they know a player has passed through waivers unclaimed?

To me, the easiest thing to do would be for Cashman to call/text MacPhail and say “Hey, Andy, CC’s on waivers. Wanna claim him?” and if MacPhail says yes, he says “Too bad! I’m pulling him back!” or something like that (though, if it’s AJ we’re talking about though, at this point, Andy can have him). If MacPhail says no, then he would call up (or text) Dayton Moore and ask him, confining the process for each no he gets until he got all the way to Amaro, Jr.

I understand it’s “secret” and all, so maybe theres no answer available to the public, but I’ve always wondered. Anyone know?

4. poprox13 - Aug 24, 2011 at 6:27 PM