Aug 25, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
One of these things, is not like the others, one of these things doesn’t belong. Can you tell which thing is not like the others, by the time we finish our song?
Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts is wasting no time gathering information on potential general manager candidates, talking this week to people in and around baseball about current GMs Andrew Friedman of the Tampa Bay Rays and Ned Colletti of the Los Angeles Dodgers, according to sources.
Colletti, eh? Really? And he appeals to the Cubs, why exactly? Here’s one explanation:
one attraction to him, a source said, is the likelihood he would try to bring Ryne Sandberg back to the organization as the Cubs’ manager.
That would be some profound tail-wagging-dog action, would it not? If ownership wants Ryne Sandberg back, it should (a) hire the best GM they can find; and (b) persuade the GM to hire Sandberg. It should not sacrifice all that is valuable in GM talent in order to get a guy who simply likes Sandberg.
Not that I think Cashman or even Friedman will want the Cubs job, but boy, you gotta do better than Ned Colletti, don’t you?
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 10
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)