Aug 25, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
One of these things, is not like the others, one of these things doesn’t belong. Can you tell which thing is not like the others, by the time we finish our song?
Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts is wasting no time gathering information on potential general manager candidates, talking this week to people in and around baseball about current GMs Andrew Friedman of the Tampa Bay Rays and Ned Colletti of the Los Angeles Dodgers, according to sources.
Colletti, eh? Really? And he appeals to the Cubs, why exactly? Here’s one explanation:
one attraction to him, a source said, is the likelihood he would try to bring Ryne Sandberg back to the organization as the Cubs’ manager.
That would be some profound tail-wagging-dog action, would it not? If ownership wants Ryne Sandberg back, it should (a) hire the best GM they can find; and (b) persuade the GM to hire Sandberg. It should not sacrifice all that is valuable in GM talent in order to get a guy who simply likes Sandberg.
Not that I think Cashman or even Friedman will want the Cubs job, but boy, you gotta do better than Ned Colletti, don’t you?
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)