Aug 25, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
One of these things, is not like the others, one of these things doesn’t belong. Can you tell which thing is not like the others, by the time we finish our song?
Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts is wasting no time gathering information on potential general manager candidates, talking this week to people in and around baseball about current GMs Andrew Friedman of the Tampa Bay Rays and Ned Colletti of the Los Angeles Dodgers, according to sources.
Colletti, eh? Really? And he appeals to the Cubs, why exactly? Here’s one explanation:
one attraction to him, a source said, is the likelihood he would try to bring Ryne Sandberg back to the organization as the Cubs’ manager.
That would be some profound tail-wagging-dog action, would it not? If ownership wants Ryne Sandberg back, it should (a) hire the best GM they can find; and (b) persuade the GM to hire Sandberg. It should not sacrifice all that is valuable in GM talent in order to get a guy who simply likes Sandberg.
Not that I think Cashman or even Friedman will want the Cubs job, but boy, you gotta do better than Ned Colletti, don’t you?
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 5
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 61
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 17
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 7
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 60
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- Remembering World Series Game 7s of the past 30 years 30
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (145)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)