Aug 25, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
One of these things, is not like the others, one of these things doesn’t belong. Can you tell which thing is not like the others, by the time we finish our song?
Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts is wasting no time gathering information on potential general manager candidates, talking this week to people in and around baseball about current GMs Andrew Friedman of the Tampa Bay Rays and Ned Colletti of the Los Angeles Dodgers, according to sources.
Colletti, eh? Really? And he appeals to the Cubs, why exactly? Here’s one explanation:
one attraction to him, a source said, is the likelihood he would try to bring Ryne Sandberg back to the organization as the Cubs’ manager.
That would be some profound tail-wagging-dog action, would it not? If ownership wants Ryne Sandberg back, it should (a) hire the best GM they can find; and (b) persuade the GM to hire Sandberg. It should not sacrifice all that is valuable in GM talent in order to get a guy who simply likes Sandberg.
Not that I think Cashman or even Friedman will want the Cubs job, but boy, you gotta do better than Ned Colletti, don’t you?
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)