Aug 25, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
One of these things, is not like the others, one of these things doesn’t belong. Can you tell which thing is not like the others, by the time we finish our song?
Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts is wasting no time gathering information on potential general manager candidates, talking this week to people in and around baseball about current GMs Andrew Friedman of the Tampa Bay Rays and Ned Colletti of the Los Angeles Dodgers, according to sources.
Colletti, eh? Really? And he appeals to the Cubs, why exactly? Here’s one explanation:
one attraction to him, a source said, is the likelihood he would try to bring Ryne Sandberg back to the organization as the Cubs’ manager.
That would be some profound tail-wagging-dog action, would it not? If ownership wants Ryne Sandberg back, it should (a) hire the best GM they can find; and (b) persuade the GM to hire Sandberg. It should not sacrifice all that is valuable in GM talent in order to get a guy who simply likes Sandberg.
Not that I think Cashman or even Friedman will want the Cubs job, but boy, you gotta do better than Ned Colletti, don’t you?
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 4
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 15
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)