Gary Matthews: The Mets are crybabies

Aug 25, 2011, 9:28 AM EDT

crybaby

This was fun. As I mentioned in the comments, Mike Pelfrey got into it for a second with Placido Polanco when he thought Polanco was trying to stick his elbow out to get on base via a HBP.  In the booth, Phillies broadcaster Gary Matthews called the team “crybabies.”

Later, according to Andy Martino of the Daily News, a reporter asked Matthews about the comment. I’m guessing the reporter was Martino himself, but j-school teaches those guys never to put themselves in the story if they can help it. Imagine if Hunter S. Thompson followed that rule.  Anyway, we got this:

“Tell them Sarge said it – the Mets are crybabies,” Matthews repeated to the reporter, an earnest, Jimmy Olsen-type. “That’s why they lose.”

Announcer and reporter parted, then Matthews doubled back. He closed his fists and made crying motions under his eyes. “Make sure you have tears, like this,” he said.

I gotta tell ya, that is first class taunting by Sarge, there. I doff my cap and give a little bow.  Own that stuff. Don’t apologize if you mean it. And if you do mean it, make it entertaining and unequivocal.

1. The Common Man - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:32 AM

God, I feel so freaking old. David Wright looks so young to me these days.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Good one. +1 thumb up.

• cur68 - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Common Man: Speaking of babies and baseball, hows the growth of the Uncommon family going?

• The Common Man - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM

We’ve got roughly a month-and-a-half to go before we expand. Meanwhile, I have roughly 3 months of work to do to really get ready for it.

• hep3 - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM

How come the Sarge never taught his kid to man up? Gary Jr. was a huge crybaby in Anaheim.

“Whaaaaahhhh! They took away my juice and I can’t play!!!!!” However, he kept cashing the checks.

2. halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Like I said in the ATH thread, I don’t care for Sarge too much as a color commentator, but I like this. I give the Sarge props. He has some big stones. And he’s right. The Mutts have major character flaws, and this is just another one.

The Mutts should hire a babysitter for that dugout so the sitter can walk around and burp these guys. Also the sitter can change Pagan’s diaper when needed.

• solidzac - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I’m not a Mets fan (far from it) but I’ve also seen about 40-60% of the Mets’ games this year. What “character flaws” are you referring to, aside from “they happen to Mets” and you happen to be a Phillies fan, apparently?

3. bleedgreen - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Polanco would NEVER stick his elbow out to get hit. That elbow’s been hit and injured and abused 2 or 3 times over the past 2 years. He had surgery on it for bone chips/spurs over the off season. Why would he stick it out to get hit?

• firedude7160 - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Because he wants to win

4. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:39 AM

i still love hearing charlie manuel on the pre game, the man talks like he has marbles in his mouth!! Its a riot to hear, let “sarge” comment on that next.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Yeah. Charlie talks as well as you write.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Dirty “Sanchez” Harry is nothing but a grade-A troll and a known Red Sox hater (redundant).

The herpes virus has more personal warmth and charm than this asshole.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM

That’s probably the first time he’s seen his name/screen name anywhere remotely close to any form of the term “grade A.”

5. Jonny 5 - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:44 AM

“Crossing Broad” has the audio.

6. Reggie's Bush - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Big Pelf vs Matthews & Polanco

Steelcage Match in CitiField

PPV

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Your handle scares me.

7. fatelvis77 - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:47 AM

He stuck his elbow out because he wears body armor on it, and the pitch was a slider. It was bush league for a team that’s 40 games over .500, or even one that isn’t. If any other team’s player did that against the Phils, Sarge would roast the team, the player, the manager and the mascot. The Phils are easily the strongest team in baseball. Here’s hoping they find a way to lose in the first round of the playoffs.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Fat Elvis,

If you watch the play, Polanco clearly wasn’t trying to be hit on the elbow. Pelfrey has no reason to bitch at all. Just pitch.

As far as hoping the Phils losing in the first round, hate to shatter your dream, but that isn’t happening.

8. catsmeat - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:50 AM

It’s a rich comment coming from someone associated with a team that goes into conniptions every time Jose Reyes so much as smiles on the field. Crybabies, indeed.

9. southofheaven81 - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Excellent. That’s some Bobby the Brain Heenan-worthy trolling right there. A friend in need is a pest!

10. jericoc - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Did he apologize to the Mets for the money his son stole from them?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Did Omar Minaya apologize to the Mutts for the money he gave to his son, as well as all the other money he blew on this sorry excuse of a team?

• Jonny 5 - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM

lmao!!!

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Ha Ha Ha…except totally wrong. He stole 98% of his money from the Angels and NOT the Mutts. The Mutts were dumb enough to trade for him at the end of his horrible contract with LA and actually only paid about a million of the $50 million he was paid.

11. kopy - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM

A Phillies phan with an irrational hatred for the Mets? Now I’ve heard everything! This “rivalry” seems like a one way street. I really don’t hear the Mets hating on the Phillies, even when they’re good.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:05 AM

You must have missed all the negative stuff said by Beltran and Wright about both the Phillies and the fans. But this was when the Mets were actually relevant. Now, they are so far in the crapper that even they wouldn’t have the balls to say anything about the Phillies other than “Thank you sir, may I have another”

• seattlej - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I had a NY friend explain to me that New Yorkers don’t have irrational hatred toward Phillies Phans because they feel sorry for them. While their team might be dominating right now, at the end of the day the Phillies Phans live in Philly. New Yorkers feel sorry for them because that’s punishment enough.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:20 AM

If that’s really how New Yorkers feel, then they are dumber than I thought.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Yeah, because truthfully, NY smells like a dumpster. But anyway, Half of the Phillies fans are from south/central NJ.

• indaburg - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Yes, New Yorkers really do feel that way about Philadelphia. Most NYers feel that way about every other place on earth so don’t take it too personally.

• sdelmonte - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I don’t have an irrational hatred towards fans of other teams, or towards other teams, because it’s just a game.

Heck, if anything, I have total and complete respect for

• Utley's Hair - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:16 AM

People generally don’t see their feelings or actions as being irrational.

12. plmathfoto - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Hmmm, let’s not forget that the Mets got rid of Matthews’ son and underlying bitterness there perhaps…

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I don’t think so. I think Sarge knew that his kid was a washed up, former steriod user who couldn’t play for anyone anymore.

13. plmathfoto - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:16 AM

They were whining about his pt or lack thereof and inconsistent use etc

14. hank10 - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Go, Sarge, go! Not a real fan of his commentary, but he is like the ‘crazy’ uncle that stops by from time to time and can be highly entertaining.

15. seanmk - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:30 AM

i thought it was funny how terry colins responded when asked about sarge’s quote “I don’t give a [expletive] what he says.”

• Jonny 5 - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM

That was funny. Those two will probably bump into each other and laugh about it all too.

16. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM

It amuses me that the Phillies and their fans are doing things like diving into pitches and jawing while their team is up by about 500 games over the Mets. I suppose being losers for so long is a tough thing to shake. I don’t really remember the Yankees or Red Sox getting all bent out of shape over what the Oriels are doing…

What I’m saying is, try and act like you’ve been here before.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Well, first, Polanco didn’t dive into the pitch. Second, that punk Pelfrey was the one kawing, not Polanco. And third, I guess you forgot about the war of words between Buck and the Red Sox the beginning of this season, before the clock struck midnight for the Orioles and they fell hard.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Admittedly, I have not seen the pitch yet, but there’s no way in hell that Polly would lean in to get hit by a pitch on an elbow with his history of elbow problems.

Besides, Pelfrey’s a hot head when it comes to the Phillies. It is so easy to get under his skin. All it takes is for a batter to call time and Pelfrey just loses it and starts flapping his gums.

• xmatt0926x - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:05 PM

It amuses me that you say “the Phillies and their fans are doing things like diving into pitches and jawing”. I myself don’t recall diving into pitches and I wonder if you even saw the pitch in question before commenting. I’m guessing not. If you had any knowledge of Phillies/Mets history than you would know that Pelfrey has also gotten into it with Chase Utley a few times as well so he has a history of this type of jawing towards Phillies players. That is why Phillies fans react like that towards anything that Pelfrey does. I’m sure the perfect and always well mannered Yankees and Red Sox fans might even have had a negative reaction to certain players from losing teams over the years. Bottom line? Get over yourself.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Okay. Now I have seen the pitch.

Pelfrey’s a moron who apparently has a perception problem. Polanco did not lean in to the pitch.

17. tjv027 - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Let’s assume for a second that Polanco did stick his elbow out. Who cares? Guys do this all the time at every level of the game…my high school calc teacher played ball at Johns Hopkins, and he swears that the only reason he even made the team every year is because he mastered the art of getting HBP accidentally on purpose. If you pitch to a guy so far inside that he can subtly lean into it, that’s on you. Hit your spots and shut up.

18. sdelmonte - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Can’t say I like that sort of commentary from any announcer. If Keith Hernandez said it about another team, I would not be happy either.

19. The Baseball Gods - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:45 AM

So how many of you actually saw the pitch that Polanco supposedly leaned into, according to Mike Pelfrey? If you saw the actual pitch you would realize that there was no intention by Polanco to try and get hit by the pitch. Like most good hitters he attacks the ball so his first movement is always towards the plate, but as soon as he saw the pitch was inside he immediately pulled his elbow back to avoid getting hit by the pitch. If he wanted to get hit by the pitch he could have easily since his elbow was right in front of the ball before he pulled it back.

20. flyinhighwithvick - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Good, I’m glad Sarge said what he said. The Mets franchise is the biggest joke in professional sports. They suck, they know it, and all they do is cry about it. I hate the city, I hate their players, and I hate their fans. Citi Field is a dump, and I hope it burns to the ground.

• The Baseball Gods - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Best comment ever!

• Utley's Hair - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM

So…what are you trying to convey here with your comment?

• seattlej - Aug 25, 2011 at 4:36 PM

How can you say you hate a group of players and fans as a whole and then celebrate your football team when they employ such a despicable figure as their QB… much less use that guy’s name in your screen name?

Alright, that’s actually a really stupid question I’m asking. I can’t say that I’m surprised that you’re using the word “hate” so much when you voluntarily use a screen name like that. You seem to be quite a hate-filled individual. I know that every fan base has knuckleheads like this, but it’s jackasses spewing out vitriol like this (not to mention those that approve of it) that gives most of the country an especially low opinion of Phillies fans.

• flyinhighwithvick - Aug 26, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Cry me a river. And get over Michael Vick already. It’s old news. There are worse people in the world than Vick.

And regarding the “country’s opinion of Philly fans”….when are you going to realize that WE DON’T CARE???

21. booyou292 - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I believe the phillies have the most losses in all of sports history. THAT is a joke.

• The Baseball Gods - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I also believe the Phillies are the oldest continuous, one-name, one-city franchise in all of professional American sports, dating to 1883. Which makes your stat pretty irrelevant.

• seattlej - Aug 25, 2011 at 4:43 PM

According to baseball-reference.com there are six other franchises that date from 1883 or earlier (and one more from 1884). And yes, the Phillies have the most losses.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM