Hurricane Irene is totally messing with this weekend’s games

Aug 25, 2011, 2:45 PM EST

Hurricane Irene

Yesterday the Marlins and the Reds played a double header in order to get out ahead of Hurricane Irene’s impact.  As of a few minutes ago we have our first official rejiggering of the schedule for this weekend: the Phillies have moved Sunday’s game to Saturday, making it part of a day-night doubleheader with the Marlins.

Of course, there’s a decent chance that rain will already be falling on Philly by Saturday, but I suppose that the Phils are counting on the combined awesomeness of Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay to keep the atmospheric forces at bay.

There are many other series that are bound to be impacted by Irene, including the Yankees-Orioles in Baltimore, Braves-Mets in New York and the Athletics-Red Sox in Boston. No word on those, but there’s a non-trivial chance that we’ll have as many as 19 games on Saturday as a result. And if some of those get rained out the last few weeks of the season are likely to be a scheduling nightmare.

In the HBT video today I cursed James Bond for screwing up Martinis. I doubly curse him now for vanquishing villains who had perfectly good weather control systems at their disposal. Sure, they’re mostly used for evil, but I bet we could have persuaded them to have this storm pushed off the east coast in the name of baseball, right?

1. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Cliff Lee + Roy Halladay + Same Day = Baseball Heaven.

• firedude7160 - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:01 PM

I don’t think I will be able to handle the awesomeness of that event

• Old Gator - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM

“I don’t think I will be able to handle the awesomeness of that event.”

I doubt if the Feesh will handle it particularly well either.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Roy Halladay was last seen thowing baseballs at the Septa buses at the Frankford Terminal. If there was a Hurricane, Doc would pitch in it.

• philly56 - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Yep, and they just announced that’s gonna happen

• trevorb06 - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:10 PM

‘cepts would have commented on this by now but he’s too busy cleaning his screen off. :-)

• trevorb06 - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I see ‘cepts commented WHILE i was typing… ‘cepts, you must be fast. ;-)

Of course I say this with affection. :-)

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:52 PM

trevor, you are a good dude and I mean that. After our shaky start together with commenting, I think you are aces. I compliment you to the nth degree.

2. pkers - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Or maybe they just expect Lee and Halladay to pitch so quickly and effectively, they’ll be able to get both games done in under 2 hours. Combined.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:09 PM

That’s a possibility. Never bet against the Doc and Lee.

• bleedgreen - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Has there ever been 2 perfect games thrown on the same day by the same team in a DH?

• mianfr - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Don’t ever ask such a stupid question again, bleedgreen.

I don’t know or even care if it was facetious.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Word has it the Yankees asked the Os to play 2 on Sat, and the O’s, for the sake of preserving their guys for the playoffs, flat out refused.

4. sdelmonte - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I am always skeptical of hurricane forecasts. While it might make sense for the authorities to prepare for the worst, there is no reason for baseball teams to change their schedules in advance of a possible storm. If it really comes our way, then there will be rainouts. If it doesn’t, play proceeds.

And I am willing to bet that, like almost every other hurricane that has come to NYC in my memory, this will be a fizzle.

• boxchain has a loose changeup - Aug 25, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Yeah, I said that once too. Two days later I was trying to figure out whose roof shingles kept hitting my house.

Major hurricanes are hundreds of miles wide, and almost all of the forecasts have Irene within 100 miles of the coast (either inland or just off shore, where it won’t weaken).

Here, I’ll let the NHC explain:
      “NHC tropical cyclone forecast tracks can be in error. This forecast uncertainty is conveyed by the track forecast “cone”, the solid white and stippled white areas in the graphic. The solid white area depicts the track forecast uncertainty for days 1-3 of the forecast, while the stippled area depicts the uncertainty on days 4-5. Historical data indicate that the entire 5-day path of the center of the tropical cyclone will remain within the cone about 60-70% of the time.”

So what’s in the 3-day cone right now? Baltimore, Philly, NYC. Boston has a 40% chance of TS winds in the next 3 days. Even Pittsburgh has a 5-10% chance of TS winds, which would make for some entertaining baseball for sure

If you live in NYC, you’re behind a 5′ floodwall, and if Irene hugs the coast and hits anywhere near you, they’re saying a 10-15′ storm surge is possible, flooding the subway system.

But since you’re willing to bet it’ll fizzle, why should the people who work in stadiums have time off to make preparations so your baseball watching schedule isn’t inconvenienced?

• firedude7160 - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:30 PM

For your sake I really hope it does fizzle. But I highly doubt that it will. We have come a long way in our ability to track and predict storms such as this one. I will always advise people to air on the side of caution when it comes to something like this. It is better to over prepare than it is to do nothing because “you bet that it will fizzle”

5. vicksprman - Aug 25, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Saturday is going to be a great day for baseball in South Philly.

6. micker716 - Aug 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM

What? No baseball this weekend? If only baseball existed somewhere other than the East Coast.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5181)
  2. M. Kemp (3569)
  3. J. Upton (2861)
  4. J. Kang (2854)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2747)
  1. C. McGehee (2747)