Mike Flanagan died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound

Aug 25, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT

Mike Flanagan

It was reported last night that suicide was suspected in the death of Mike Flanagan. Now it is confirmed: Chick Hernandez of CSNWashington.com reports that Baltimore police are saying that Flanagan died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. More details here.

What a tragic waste.

1. vikesfansteve - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Great player & analyst. Guy must have had some demons. Sad.

• florida727 - Aug 25, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I had a very close friend of mine kill himself with a handgun. It leaves a lasting impression on those left behind. As others have said, it’s a shame this couldn’t have been avoided, or that friends/family couldn’t see it coming and intervene. My friend was being berated by his so-called girlfriend on the phone when he pulled the trigger. He had millions stolen from him by his business partner and all she could do was tell him what a loser he was. The human psyche is a pretty fragile thing. Prayers go out to the Flanagan family and the Orioles too.

2. Panda Claus - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:10 PM

So caring too much about something (as Flanagan did about the Orioles) can kill you. Utterly a waste of a wonderful life. Such a shame this couldn’t be avoided.

3. stlouis1baseball - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Sad indeed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his Wife and Children.

4. halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I’m shocked that it was suicide. Seemed like a happy guy from what I saw in the media throughout the years. I watched him growing up and he was a pretty good pitcher. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Baseball lost a good guy.

5. Utley's Hair - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:26 PM

That really sucks—especially for his family and friends. As I and others have said before, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. It’s so sad that he didn’t feel that the problems he no doubt battled with could have been solved any other way.

I hope that anybody out there see that suicide is not the answer. Its main impact makes it that much more difficult on family and friends. Thoughts and prayers go out to the Flanagan and Orioles families.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Well said, Hair.

• Old Gator - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Much of depression, or various forms of schizophrenia which are amenable to suicide, is really biochemical. It’s not usuallly something that admits of logical analysis or thoughtful self-intervention, and while we can medicate it, there’s still so much about it that we don’t medically understand. And of course we don’t know what else was going on in his life. I seriously doubt if caring about the Orioles figured significantly in it, though.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Understood, but my point is that there is no undo button or fix after suicide.

6. APBA Guy - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM

My uncle killed himself rather than face terminal cancer, which has a logic to it, though I don’t subscribe to that logic myself. We don’t know, and maybe never will what drove Flanagan to choose this result. But as Hair says above, the main impact makes it more difficult on family, as indeed my Uncle’s death was on my Aunt and cousins. So say an extra prayer for the survivors in the immediate family. It is truly harder for them now.

• joecool16280 - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Sorry about your loss.

7. SmackSaw - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:06 PM

That is awful. First Irabu and now Flanny. I will never understand suicides.

8. stairwayto7 - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Probably mad because Orioles still suck!

• The Baseball Idiot - Aug 25, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I’m all about freedom of speech and the Constitution, but I think even Thomas Jefferson would be okay if that comment was deleted.

• rwjk - Aug 26, 2011 at 2:49 AM

it’s a shame you haven’t committed suicide yet since you suck

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. C. Gonzalez (2330)