“No one made me laugh like Mike Flanagan. Tonight, he made me cry”

Aug 25, 2011, 9:47 AM EDT

Mike Flanagan

As a ballplayer, Mike Flanagan was more of a fuzzy memory to me than a lot of guys of his era and stature. I should have more vivid memories of him pitching for the early 80s Orioles, back when I used to watch Tigers games all the time, but I don’t. I remember Jim Palmer more because he was a bigger name. I even remember Scott McGregor more for some reason. Flanagan was more a name and a baseball card to me.

And that makes me sad today, as I’m reading all of the remembrances of him as both a pitcher and a character.  Buster Oleny and Tim Kurkjian each have good ones. Each worth your time for the anecdotes and the obvious affection they had for him.  Kurkjian’s is funny and touching, ending with “No one made me laugh like Mike Flanagan. Tonight, he made me cry.”

Reports are that Flanagan committed suicide.  How awful it would be if we found out that all of that wry humor about which many of us are first learning was really there to mask pain.

1. atworkident - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Sad.

2. nolanwiffle - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM

As an O’s fan, this is heartbreaking. Flanagan, McGregor, Boddicker, Stone…..great era of ball in Charm City.

3. Paul White - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:08 AM

First Paul Splittorff, now Mike Flanagan (two extremely similar pitcher, BTW). Horrible year for crafty ’70s-’80s lefties and their fans. Condolences to his friends and family.

4. cur68 - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Damn, that was a great series of anecdotes form Tim Kurkjian. My memories of Flanagan are also vague, but he was a Jay to me. It was the first time I ever saw him at any rate. A sad day for his family & friends indeed.

5. jaysfan64 - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Flanagan was a Jay for about 3 seasons or so ….I remember his 11 inning masterpiece against the Tigers and Jack Morris in 87 when the Jays lost the division in the last week of the season (they lost that game after Jimy one M pulled Flanagan)…..what a terrible time for his family….my thoughts and prayers are with them….

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto