Ozzie Guillen on Peter Bourjos: “I’ve never seen a white man that can run that fast”

Aug 25, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

Peter Bourjos AP

Angels center fielder Peter Bourjos has been one of the most underrated players in baseball this season, combining exceptional defense with surprisingly strong hitting to rank 11th among AL position players in Wins Above Replacement.

Ozzie Guillen came to appreciate Bourjos after the Angels swept a two-game series against the White Sox this week, heaping praise on the 24-year-old center fielder:

Oh my god, he can be my favorite player. I’ve never seen a white man that can run that fast. It is really impressive. That man might be the fastest person in baseball right now.

Bourjos hasn’t quite mastered stealing bases, going 17-for-23 so far, but there’s no one faster running to first base or going first-to-third, and Ultimate Zone Rating says he’s been 10.2 runs above average defensively in center field while batting .282 with 39 extra-base hits and a .780 OPS in 116 games.

1. Reggie's Bush - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:59 AM

“You white? Then you Ben Affleck”

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:39 AM

It took me two views of this page and your comment to remember where this is from, but I got my “Role Models” back.

2. derekjetersmansion - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:00 AM

If you had August 25th in the “Ozzie Guillen Saying Peter Bourjos Is A Fast White Guy Pool”, you’re a winner!

3. undeadjesus - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM

This is a revelation for Ozzie. Future of the White Sox: fast white guys instead of gigantic slow white guys.

• Sportsdrenched - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Well, they did win a WS with Scotty Pods leading off.

4. mianfr - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM

For some reason I thought Ozzie Smith said this and I took it as a little bit shocking.

Then I reread and realized Ozzie Guillen said it and took it as the norm.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I thought the same thing and I don’t know why b/c HBT covers Guillen frequently, I saw the White Sox were playing them, and also why would Smith say anything like that? Yet, oddly, I thought Smith for some reason too. Weird, man.

• Old Gator - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I don’t know why anyone covers that gibbering imbecile. If Hugo Chavez is really terminally ill, I nominate Ozzie to go home and replace him. No one else can fill such enormous, self-aggrandizing Venezuelan clown shoes but Ozzie.

5. seanmk - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM

i love bourjos as well

6. Paul White - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM

You can land anywhere on the scale between “Hilarious” and “Tragically Racist” when you employ the “I’ve never seen a (insert race) guy do (insert stereotypical thing that race can’t do) before” formula. Being Ozzie, he always seems to land closer to the hilarious of the scale.

• cur68 - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM

And the irony is further compounded by your last name, sir. Tell me, how quick are you?

• trevorb06 - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Not true. If a white man says something like that about any other race then he’s automatically labeled a racist. If he says that about a woman he’s a sexist. If any non white race says that about white men, its okay.

I hate being a white man. :-P
      #sarcasm

• purnellmeagrejr - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:58 AM

White men that whine about being discriminated against are SOOOOO lame.

• trevorb06 - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Idiots who don’t understand sarcasm are too.

• florida727 - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Idiots that don’t comprehend that white guys get discriminated against too are even more lame. It’s laughable that blacks think they’re the only ones that can play the race card and get away with it at will.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Ah, there it is. I was waiting for those two words: race card. It is soooo sweet that when a Venezuelan says something clearly racist (but funny) and then black people get called out all over the comments section. Jackson, Sharpton, blacks using the race card…

Yep those latinos, african americans, black africans, white africans, they’re all the f@cking same aren’t they?

• cur68 - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Yep, El Bravo, we are.

Everyone wants the world to be instantly fair and just. Hell, I do to. But then I also want Jessica Alba and a Veyron Supersport. Neither scenario is particularly likely. Might as well have a chuckle about “quick white guy” comment coming from Ozzie without turning it into a race riot. If I were Bourjos I’d be damn flattered. Ozzie don’t mince no words. If he likes you he says so. If he thinks you’re a punk he says so. A compliment from Oz is as good as one from Darth Vader: he don’t gotta do it but when he does, its for real, no matter the context.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I agree with you Cur, just making that clear. I’ve been misinterpreted a lot lately.

• cur68 - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Oh I’m pretty confident we’re on the same page here Bravo. I usually stay out of these ‘race’ issue threads but this one’s just Ozzie being Ozzie, and damn the PC crap. I don’t think there’s anything more than Oz having a laugh and paying Bourjos a compliment (probably, in his mind, one of the highest he could pay). It may not be totally ‘fair’ or ‘correct’ for everyone but the spirit in which it was intended is what counts. The world isn’t built fair or correct and somethings you have to watch fade away, rather than be gone in an instant. In the history of racism this is the peddle-car next to a Terex dump truck. Guess which one I’d rather have coming at me? Probably the people moaning the loudest have never put up with the dump truck so that little peddle car really stings the ankles.

I still want that Supersport. And Alba. Not necessarily in that order.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:20 PM

You are clearly much more eloquent about speaking on such things. We can also certainly agree on a slice of warm Alba pie. C’mon she loves pie. She HAS to.

• cur68 - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:23 PM

She loves cheescake. With ice cream. While sitting in my lap as we bomb down the road in my Veyron Supersport.

7. nolanwiffle - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Place Craig in the 1200 block of S. 9th Street in Philadelphia after a Phillies loss, and have him opine on why he thinks Phils fans aren’t having fun. Cheese whiz (and Craig) will be flying!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Phillies fans ARE Cheese Whiz…cheap, synthesized in a lab, unnaturally cheesy, and taste like shit.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM

“and taste like shit.”

Next time I’ll wash better before you kiss my a$$ Bravo… :P

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:29 AM

LOL!!!!! No response is required.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM

You like how I lobbed that softball at the end for you guys to knock out the park? I’m a Braves fan, we’re a charitable people. I mean look, we won 14 straight divisions, but gave away 13 of the World Series titles during that span. Aren’t we, as a team and fan base, nice and giving people?

8. shep1957 - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:29 AM

If a white man said that about a “person of color”. He would have already been fired.

• trevorb06 - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Yes sir.

• pisano - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:01 PM

How true, and they’d also hear from Jessee (the whore monger) Jackson, and the Genius Al Sharpton.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Boo hoo, I can’t be outwardly racist like I want to be and Ozzie can and people all laugh! WAAAAHHH it’s so unfair!!!

• mgp1219 - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Yes, I agree with shep.
      Imagine if Terry Francona said something like “Adrien Gonzalez sounds very articulate for a Hispanic man”. He would be fired and brought up on charges, not to mention the 10 days of ESPN reporting on it.

Where are Al & Jesse now? Hypocrites.

And someone tell Guillen to shut up! He is a dope, regardless of his race, color, or creed.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I love how Sharpton and Jackson are always the go-to’s for these type of idiotic comparisons and observations. Seriously, get over yourselves. Everyone in the country understands this double-standard, recognizes it, and deals with it b/c of obvious differences in each races’ respective histories. Boo hoo for you.

Did you know that men and women have many double-standards too? Do you whine incessantly to your significant other when she go first in/out of the elevator all the time and you just have to wait b/c you have a penis? Poor poor you.

9. Reggie's Bush - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I appreciate your cannibalism Mr Bravo… But what happens if you put Cheese Whiz on a Philly fan before you eat them?

What if you have to eat a Philly fan before you can have pie, does the pie taste that much better?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:44 AM

If you eat shit and then have a pie, the pie tastes like shit b/c you just ate shit. You can’t just rinse out shit flavor, so avoid eating shit at all times if possible.

If you put Cheese Whiz on a Philly fan before eating said fan, it is simply called a Philly Cheese Steak and sold throughout the city for some odd reason.

• trevorb06 - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:52 AM

He doesn’t go down that road.

10. shawon0meter - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Tony Campana is faster

11. Sportsdrenched - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:42 PM

If Ozzie Guillen is ever not a Manager of an MLB team, it should be Craig’s job to call him daily and get a quote, about anything.

12. flyinhighwithvick - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:59 PM

He has to be fast, he’s always running from the cops!

13. pisano - Aug 25, 2011 at 4:01 PM

rjmarrella….The problem with Ozzie is, (now think about this) he’s so ignorant he doesn’t even realize his remarks are racist, and that’s how out of touch he is with most everything he says. As the old saying goes …” ignorance is bliss”. And Ozzie is a very happy man.

14. rcali - Aug 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Ozzie and Charles Barkley could have a really interesting reality tv show.

15. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM

WOW…if this bullshit doesn’t get pulled off HBT, thumbs down for HBT. WOW.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 26, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Thanks HBT…shoulda pulled mine too…now I just look like a dick w/ only the response here. Looking like a dick is something I can do on my own thank you very much.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3853)