Aug 25, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Angels center fielder Peter Bourjos has been one of the most underrated players in baseball this season, combining exceptional defense with surprisingly strong hitting to rank 11th among AL position players in Wins Above Replacement.
Ozzie Guillen came to appreciate Bourjos after the Angels swept a two-game series against the White Sox this week, heaping praise on the 24-year-old center fielder:
Oh my god, he can be my favorite player. I’ve never seen a white man that can run that fast. It is really impressive. That man might be the fastest person in baseball right now.
Bourjos hasn’t quite mastered stealing bases, going 17-for-23 so far, but there’s no one faster running to first base or going first-to-third, and Ultimate Zone Rating says he’s been 10.2 runs above average defensively in center field while batting .282 with 39 extra-base hits and a .780 OPS in 116 games.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (223)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)