Aug 25, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Angels center fielder Peter Bourjos has been one of the most underrated players in baseball this season, combining exceptional defense with surprisingly strong hitting to rank 11th among AL position players in Wins Above Replacement.
Ozzie Guillen came to appreciate Bourjos after the Angels swept a two-game series against the White Sox this week, heaping praise on the 24-year-old center fielder:
Oh my god, he can be my favorite player. I’ve never seen a white man that can run that fast. It is really impressive. That man might be the fastest person in baseball right now.
Bourjos hasn’t quite mastered stealing bases, going 17-for-23 so far, but there’s no one faster running to first base or going first-to-third, and Ultimate Zone Rating says he’s been 10.2 runs above average defensively in center field while batting .282 with 39 extra-base hits and a .780 OPS in 116 games.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games