Players pick Joe Maddon as MLB’s most popular manager

Aug 25, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT

maddon

In a recent Sports Illustrated poll 291 players voted on which manager they’d most like to play for and Joe Maddon came out on top with 14 percent of the vote.

Terry Francona finished second, followed by Jim Leyland, Mike Scioscia, and Dusty Baker.

Asked about the poll results, Maddon equated it to a ninth-grade dance. Seriously:

Joe Maddon said the manager vote was his first such honor since being voted King of Hearts as a ninth-grader for a dance at D.A. Harmon Junior High in Hazleton, Pa. “I told my mom you’re not permitted to come and she showed up [anyway],” he said. “And I had to do the first dance in front of everybody in the gym.”

He doesn’t have to dance this time, but Maddon did voluntarily wear a football helmet during a press conference earlier this week.

1. halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:04 PM

291 players voted for him as the manager they would like to most play for? Curious. Here’s a question. If you have never played for him as a player in your career, how do you know you would like playing for him?

I think this might be the dumbest poll I have ever seen. No offense to you, Aaron. You just write about this stuff.

I think Aaron Gleeman would agree that this is a stupid poll.

• APBA Guy - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:08 PM

You know, as many players as Tampa has let go over the years, there might be 291 guys who know what it’s like to play for Maddon.

Seriously though, before he was at Tampa he was with the Angels for a long time. And players talk among themselves, and watch how the other teams (players and managers) conduct themselves.

It’s kind of like saying if you work for IBM that you would prefer to work for IBM, then HP, then Cisco, or something. Maybe you’ve never worked there, but you know some people who do, etc..

• bloodysock - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I’m not sure anybody would prefer to work for HP or Cisco right now.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM

You might be right about the amount of players that have come through the Rays organization in the last few years (lol).

I knew that Maddon was with the Angels. But, still, it seems to be a ridiculous notion to poll players about their favorite manager. Next, we need a poll from SI on their favorite food.

If it was a poll on who’s the toughest pitcher they have faced or something in that regard, I’m fine. But, this poll borders on American Idol crap.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Roy. I am sure Manuel being selected 11th has nothing to do with your disdain for this vote huh? Look at this this way…at least he finished higher than Ron Washington, Bud Black, Bruce Bochy and Donnie Baseball.

• pkers - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:00 PM

It seems like 291 players were given votes, and of those 291, 14% voted for Maddon. So if I do my maths correctly, that means 14% x 291 = I need a calculator. But something less than 291.

• joelgold - Aug 25, 2011 at 5:41 PM

At least someone can read and set up a math equation. Answer: 40.74 players voted for Maddon. Must have been messy.

2. 12strikes - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:23 PM

WHAT!
    Charlie Manuel at number 11 …Behind Tony La Russa. Did Craig Calcaterra but that poll together!?!?!?

• 12strikes - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:20 PM

“Did Craig Calcaterra but that…” should be “Did Craig Calcaterra put that…”

EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!! EDIT FEATURE!!!

3. steveohho - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:52 PM

And right about now, Ozzie Guillen is saying to himself- Fu$% you Sport Illustrated, nutheeing but garbage. Piece of Sh$%!

4. kingbuccaneer - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I don’t get it… How could you say he’s the most popular manager when he hasn’t even won a WS? smdh on that one…

• paperlions - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:48 PM

You are right, you don’t get it.

5. southofheaven81 - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Well he sure makes me want to take my One-A-Day Men’s.

Ace-killer Giants do it again