Aug 25, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
In a recent Sports Illustrated poll 291 players voted on which manager they’d most like to play for and Joe Maddon came out on top with 14 percent of the vote.
Terry Francona finished second, followed by Jim Leyland, Mike Scioscia, and Dusty Baker.
Asked about the poll results, Maddon equated it to a ninth-grade dance. Seriously:
Joe Maddon said the manager vote was his first such honor since being voted King of Hearts as a ninth-grader for a dance at D.A. Harmon Junior High in Hazleton, Pa. “I told my mom you’re not permitted to come and she showed up [anyway],” he said. “And I had to do the first dance in front of everybody in the gym.”
He doesn’t have to dance this time, but Maddon did voluntarily wear a football helmet during a press conference earlier this week.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59