Aug 25, 2011, 1:50 PM EST
In a recent Sports Illustrated poll 291 players voted on which manager they’d most like to play for and Joe Maddon came out on top with 14 percent of the vote.
Terry Francona finished second, followed by Jim Leyland, Mike Scioscia, and Dusty Baker.
Asked about the poll results, Maddon equated it to a ninth-grade dance. Seriously:
Joe Maddon said the manager vote was his first such honor since being voted King of Hearts as a ninth-grader for a dance at D.A. Harmon Junior High in Hazleton, Pa. “I told my mom you’re not permitted to come and she showed up [anyway],” he said. “And I had to do the first dance in front of everybody in the gym.”
He doesn’t have to dance this time, but Maddon did voluntarily wear a football helmet during a press conference earlier this week.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 51
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24