Aug 25, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
In a recent Sports Illustrated poll 291 players voted on which manager they’d most like to play for and Joe Maddon came out on top with 14 percent of the vote.
Terry Francona finished second, followed by Jim Leyland, Mike Scioscia, and Dusty Baker.
Asked about the poll results, Maddon equated it to a ninth-grade dance. Seriously:
Joe Maddon said the manager vote was his first such honor since being voted King of Hearts as a ninth-grader for a dance at D.A. Harmon Junior High in Hazleton, Pa. “I told my mom you’re not permitted to come and she showed up [anyway],” he said. “And I had to do the first dance in front of everybody in the gym.”
He doesn’t have to dance this time, but Maddon did voluntarily wear a football helmet during a press conference earlier this week.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)