The crafty lefty hall of fame

Aug 25, 2011, 12:04 PM EDT

Tommy John

Joe Posnanski writes a lot of great, deep things. But it’s often his simplest observations that are the best.  Like this one:

And so, in Mike Flanagan’s honor, I’ve come up with the Crafty Lefty Hall of Fame. To find my first Crafty Lefty class, I came up with what I consider the quintessential Crafty Lefty performance. I decided this is it:  7 1/3 innings, 8 hits, 3 runs, 3 strikeouts.

I agree that is a near-perfect crafty lefty line for historical purpoes, though we might want to lop off an inning due to reliever specialization in recent years. Pitching into the seventh now is totally crafty enough.

At any rate, Posnanski uses that line to search for his inaugural inductees to the Crafty Lefty Hall of Fame, which actually should exist. Perhaps in a converted utility closet just off the main hallway at the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.  Befitting crafty lefties, the induction ceremonies should be weird and fun. Maybe everyone listens to some Little Feat for a while and then shoots the breeze for a bit. Because really, crafty lefties are anything but solemn.

1. cur68 - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM

The last line on that list is about Jamie Moyer. He should be their poster boy. I wish Mike Flanagan had seen this list.

2. Panda Claus - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Outstanding idea and wonderful gesture. The very essence of what a Crafty Lefty is has been discussed so often that this idea for the CL HOF reeks of brilliance.

3. dodger88 - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Crafty Lefty, much better than all the bloody LOOGY’s we’re stuck with today.

4. SmackSaw - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:21 PM

My all time favorite player is Frank Tanana. I nominate him. Tommy John and Jaime Moyer also are a must.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:28 PM

There can be a swag bag for the opening ceremony, containing an emery board, Vaseline, pine tar and the invitation to spit on the bag if you think it might give you a little extra late movement.

6. leftywildcat - Aug 25, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Don’t forget Casey Stengel.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3282)