Aug 25, 2011, 12:04 PM EDT
Joe Posnanski writes a lot of great, deep things. But it’s often his simplest observations that are the best. Like this one:
And so, in Mike Flanagan’s honor, I’ve come up with the Crafty Lefty Hall of Fame. To find my first Crafty Lefty class, I came up with what I consider the quintessential Crafty Lefty performance. I decided this is it: 7 1/3 innings, 8 hits, 3 runs, 3 strikeouts.
I agree that is a near-perfect crafty lefty line for historical purpoes, though we might want to lop off an inning due to reliever specialization in recent years. Pitching into the seventh now is totally crafty enough.
At any rate, Posnanski uses that line to search for his inaugural inductees to the Crafty Lefty Hall of Fame, which actually should exist. Perhaps in a converted utility closet just off the main hallway at the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Befitting crafty lefties, the induction ceremonies should be weird and fun. Maybe everyone listens to some Little Feat for a while and then shoots the breeze for a bit. Because really, crafty lefties are anything but solemn.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 21
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)