Wait, the Tigers complained about an opponent hustling?

Aug 25, 2011, 12:34 PM EST

Detroit Tigers v Baltimore Orioles Getty Images

The play that ended the Tigers-Rays game last night was weird.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a would-be putout at second with two down fail, thus allowing the guy from from third to score. Neat.

But more interesting to me were Joe Maddon’s comments after the game in which he praised Sean Rodriguez — the guy that beat the force at second — for his hustle on the play:

As odd as the ending to Wednesday’s game was, manager Joe Maddon said it couldn’t have been more fitting that Sean Rodriguez’s extreme hustle was the key to the Rays’ win. That’s because Tuesday, Rodriguez was getting yelled at by Detroit starter Brad Penny and possibly some other Tigers for hustling too much running hard on an infield pop out.

“For anybody to bark at another player for … hustling is absolutely insane, ludicrous,’’ Maddon said. “And if Sean had just charged the mound, I’d have been fine with that at that particular moment. I think that’s ridiculous, and then he shows them (Wednesday) what that means to play hard. So any time a guy gets on another guy because he’s going to show him up by playing too hard, I have a hard time with that myself, personally.”

I hadn’t heard anything about Penny barking at Rodriguez over actually running out a pop fly on Tuesday and can’t find any reference to it.  Did that actually happen?  Is Brad Penny so much of a yutz that he’s going to yell at players from the other team for hustling?

Please tell me that this is Joe Maddon being dramatic.  If not, whoa, we’ve taken the unwritten rules to a whole new stupid level.

UPDATE: Yeah, we are at  whole new stupid level. Rays Index has a post on it, complete with video of Penny yelling at Rodriguez for, apparently, running.  Fantastic work there Penny. Idiot of the Year was a pretty wide open race until now, but you have made yourself the front runner in epic fashion.

UPDATE II: Penny says he was yelling at Rodriguez for cussing. I guess, if true, that would take him out of singularly idiotic territory and merely put him down on Chris Carpenter level (“thou shalt not be mad at thineself for failing when facing me”).

1. ldb3 - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Craig,
    Rays Index did a write up on the incident from Tuesday and has the video.

• isdtyrant - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:02 PM

What’s next? No fighting in the war room?

• Utley's Hair - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Ideally, the war room is designed for planning wars and fighting to take place in other places, but point taken.

2. bobulated - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:55 PM

In Penny’s defense he probably just didn’t understand what was going on since the only time he hustles is to be first in line at the post game buffet.

3. Jonny 5 - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:57 PM

That play was planned so that they made the out on Rodriguez and it backfired. Which is sooo frigging hilarious when you think about it. SS didn’t even look at first base which is the “no-brainer” way to get that out. And had they thrown to first it would have been out #3. They planned on getting the out at second (why? to make a point to Rodriguez?) and the second baseman screwed it up by not being in position to make the play. lol…. Then he beats, it, and them by hustling. I hope everyone learned a valuable lesson here. Although hustling is many times ineffective, it wins games other times so do it every time you get the chance.

4. The Common Man - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Stupid is the level Brad Penny tends to play on. Moron.

5. hasbeen5 - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Penny is the same clown that yelled at his own catcher a few weeks ago right?

6. Tim OShenko - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Penny’s clearly in with the sabermetrics crowd. He instantly recognized Rodriguez’s hustle as the act of a “gritty scrapper” (or is it scrappy gritter) “playing the game the right way” and just couldn’t contain his anger.

• thefalcon123 - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:06 PM

It’s true. I get super pissed when I see guys running hard and gain no satisfaction out of infield hates. I wished the Cardinals hadn’t have won the 2006 WS is Eckstein was just gonna be the damned MVP of it.

I assume the Sabermetrics crowd spends hours devising ways to deconstruct and gain insight into the game because they are self-loathing and actually hate everything about it. Your analysis is spot and not at all causing me to roll my eyes while miming a jerkoff motion with my right hand.

• Tim OShenko - Aug 25, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Haha, relax, just having a little fun. I have no animosity toward xFIP or WAR or the people who use them to evaluate players, nor do I honestly think that stat enthusiasts are rage-filled basement dwellers who hate baseball. On the contrary, I value the opinions of people who value advanced metrics, even if I don’t fully understand the metrics myself.

The whole bit about “gritty scrappers” should have been a big enough clue that I was being sarcastic and just trying to get a rise out of people. As for my comment being a rather weak attempt at humour, well, I have no defense for that.

7. Utley's Hair - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Penny wondering why Maddon even sent a batter up to the plate.

8. kingbuccaneer - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Brad Penny, what the hell have you done in the past 5 years? Oh yeah, NOTHING!

Shut up, collect your (very) generous paycheck, and continue to look like an ass clown every time you’re on the mound.

9. The Baseball Idiot - Aug 25, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Carlton Fisk.

Deion Sanders.

10. drunkenhooliganism - Aug 25, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Maybe Penny was confused because only white guys are allowed to be scrappy hustlers. He saw the Rodriguez on the back of his shirt and his mind just ‘sploded.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4094)