Aug 25, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
We post on random waiver deals and waiver deal rumors, but our hearts aren’t really in it because it’s all rather silly. Yes, it matters when a trade is made, but if I had to bet the lives of my children on anything in this world it would be that the “Player X claimed by Team Y on waiver” tweet will be immediately followed by a ” … but a trade is unlikely to happen” tweet.
It’s just the nature of the business when a mostly meaningless, largely automatic process like waivers is suddenly subjected to intense media scrutiny thanks to Twitter and the like. The information is almost entirely disposable, but since the reports don’t take up column inches or require an editor to pass over them, it’s all good. No one was writing about waiver claims 20 years ago.
So what’s the point of waivers in the first place? Bill asks that question over at The Platoon Advantage today. His conclusion, bolstered by some history of the whole deadline process, is that there is no point. At least not anymore. He thinks we should either make a hard and fast trade deadline for all purposes or else allow trading to happen in any way at any time.
Not bad suggestions.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte