Aug 25, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
We post on random waiver deals and waiver deal rumors, but our hearts aren’t really in it because it’s all rather silly. Yes, it matters when a trade is made, but if I had to bet the lives of my children on anything in this world it would be that the “Player X claimed by Team Y on waiver” tweet will be immediately followed by a ” … but a trade is unlikely to happen” tweet.
It’s just the nature of the business when a mostly meaningless, largely automatic process like waivers is suddenly subjected to intense media scrutiny thanks to Twitter and the like. The information is almost entirely disposable, but since the reports don’t take up column inches or require an editor to pass over them, it’s all good. No one was writing about waiver claims 20 years ago.
So what’s the point of waivers in the first place? Bill asks that question over at The Platoon Advantage today. His conclusion, bolstered by some history of the whole deadline process, is that there is no point. At least not anymore. He thinks we should either make a hard and fast trade deadline for all purposes or else allow trading to happen in any way at any time.
Not bad suggestions.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 39
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 40
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 26
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 65
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)