Yankees hit three grand slams, pummel A’s 22-9

Aug 25, 2011, 7:08 PM EDT

Russell Martin Getty Images

It wasn’t a pretty game, but the Yankees avoided what would have been a rare three-game sweep at home by scoring 20 runs between the fifth and eighth innings and made some history in torching the A’s 22-9.

The game featured grand slams from Robinson Cano, Russell Martin and Curtis Granderson.  It’s the first time ever that a team has hit three slams in a game.

It was just the fourth time in Yankees history that the team has hit multiple grand slams in the same game and the first time they’ve done it at home.  Bernie Williams and Paul O’Neill were the last Yankees to accomplish the feat, doing so on Sept. 14, 1999.

Martin finished the game a remarkable 5-for-5 with two homers, six RBI and a walk.  Yankee Stadium is the only place in the world that he has opposite-field power, and both of his homers were out to right field today.  According to Baseball-Reference data, just three of his previous 69 career homers had gone out to right.

The Yankees ended the game with 21 hits and 13 walks.  Only one of those walks came in Rich Harden‘s 4 1/3 innings; the rest were from the pen.  Jordan Norberto gave up four runs on five walks and one hit in two-thirds of an inning.  Bruce Billings, making his fourth major league appearance, walked four in 1 1/3 innings.

The 13 walks surrendered by A’s pitching were two more than any other team had given up in a nine-inning game this season and matched the high for a game of any length.

All three slam hitters ended up with at least five RBI for the Yankees.  Granderson also scored four runs to go along with his five RBI.  Derek Jeter actually had three hits and hit with the bases loaded four times, but his lone RBI came on a walk.  Every Yankees starter except Alex Rodriguez drove in at least one run, and A-Rod finished 2-for-4 with two walks and three runs scored.  Just to punctuate things in the eighth, Andruw Jones followed up Granderson’s slam with a homer in his lone at-bat off the bench.

The one bit of bad news for the Yankees: Phil Hughes had to be pulled in the third having given up six runs and seven hits.  A.J. Burnett did his best to punch his ticket to the pen with last weekend’s ugly outing against the Twins, but Hughes really hurt himself today.  Oddly enough, both of his terrible performances since returning from the DL have come against the A’s; he hasn’t allowed more than two runs in any of his other seven starts.

With the game having turned into a laugher, Jorge Posada made his major league debut at second base in the ninth.  He was originally a second baseman in the minors, and he made the game-ending play today on an Anthony Recker grounder, though he bounced the throw to first.

1. zakharovsa - Aug 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM

“games slams?”

What an ugly game to watch. I want to see someone’s scorecard from that game.

2. mvpolamalu - Aug 25, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Game slames? Typo

3. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 25, 2011 at 7:24 PM

and he made the game-ending play today on an Anthony Recker grounder, though he bounced the throw to first.

You’ve got to be kidding me, I’m so used to Yankee catchers air mailing the throw to 2nd from behind the plate, and he can’t throw it 60 feet in the air? wtf

4. littledill - Aug 25, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Lol Posada wound up and threw a bullet one hopper to Swisher at first. Swish’s reaction was priceless!

5. sdelmonte - Aug 25, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Yow.

That is three more grand slams that Jim Palmer ever allowed.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 25, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Jesus, in almost 4000 career innings he never allowed a GS? Damn

6. zidanevalor - Aug 25, 2011 at 7:35 PM

What will get lost in the three grand slams is that Jeter actually raised his season batting average to .300 before striking out in the eighth. I don’t even think most Yankees fans expected that to happen, especially three months ago.

• florida727 - Aug 26, 2011 at 8:05 AM

I’m thinking his obituary may have been a little premature :)

7. drewmunny - Aug 25, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Pretty? Ha! Who gives a good Goddamn when you’re hitting THREE grand slams in one game? Myself and the rest of the Pinstripe Nation, we’ll take it! Against the A’s. Sure, you other (Philly) fans will downplay it, but how many other teams in history have hit three in one game? That belongs to my beloved Yankees!

8. yankeesgameday - Aug 25, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Three grand slams by one team in one game has NEVER been done.

200,000 games in over 100 years of playing the game and it has never been done before.

And I wad forced to listen to John Sterling and Susyn Waldman call a piece of history because my MLB.tv stream sucked.

• yankeesfanlen - Aug 25, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Now, now, if you were really willing to put up with that, you should stay around for Sterling’s post-game recap. Somehow I think he mentioned the Bambino in it.

9. serbingood - Aug 25, 2011 at 8:42 PM

So I’m guessing that there were no Cy Young contenders playing today? No pitching duel?

10. tominma - Aug 25, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Wait till the Yankees have to play in the playoffs, in a stadium without the right field fromt porch!

• Kevin S. - Aug 25, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Yankees on the road this season: First in OBP, second in slugging (and I think that’ll change after tonight’s update), second in ISO (ditto), first in wRAA, first in wOBA. Somehow, I think they’ll be fine on the road in the playoffs, even if there isn’t a “right field fromt porch.”

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I think it’s funny how much stock people put in sabermetrics just because some stats geek sabermatricians say they’re more useful than traditional stats. Based on the fact you need solid pitching to be successful in the playoffs I would say the Yankees might be in more trouble than their road wRAA or whatever sabermetric jargon you want to use suggests. If the pitchers they face in the ALDS have their best stuff working it could be a short postseason for NY. You can bring up whatever stats you want about how good they’ve been on the road throughout the year but that all goes out the window come playoff time. Their first round series could go either way, but you can’t deny the Yankees will have to beat teams with their bats because their starting pitching is unreliable at best

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Cool ignorance bro. Should have broke out the mother’s basement comment. But since you’re too lazy I’ll look up the information you mentioned:

AL Ranks
        ERA – 3rd behind OAK and LAA, neither will make playoffs
        BB – 5th behind LAA, SEA, CHI and CLE – 1/4 will make playoffs possible
        K’s – 4th behind BOS, Tor, CHI – 1/3 will make playoffs, possible 2/3

Oh dear, let’s check out the SABR friendly stats too:

FIP – 2nd behind CHI
        xFIP – 2nd behind CHI
        K/BB – 2nd behind CHI
        WAR – 2nd behind CHI

Would you like to try for round 2?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:07 PM

CC hasn’t looked like himself lately and I wouldn’t feel comfortable giving the ball to anyone behind him in their rotation for game 2. Like I said, you can look up any stat you like but those all get thrown out when October rolls around. Their pitching has not been consistent and in the playoffs consistent pitching is really all that matters. And just because you seem unaware, disagreement does not equal ignorance. Did I say the Yankees are an awful pitching team? No. But you can’t deny their pitching does not look prepared to do battle with any of the teams they’ll be facing in October

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Yes I can, because I’m taking stats over 1100 IP rather than a couple of starts. And what all the stats tell me is that the NYY pitchers have outperformed every other playoff bound team in the AL.

Flipping the script, who is going to beat them. Only Boston matches up offensively, and after Verlander, Detroit’s pitching is terrible. Texas doesn’t have a top of the rotation player, and the Yanks (SSS alert) are 7-2 against them this year.

If the ALCS comes down to Bos vs NYY, will Bos be favored? Probably. But it’s a lot closer than people think.

And just because you seem unaware, disagreement does not equal ignorance

It’s ignorance because you are stating something as if it were fact when it’s not. The Yanks have pitched better than all but the Chi Sox this year. Are there worries going forward? Possibly, but they aren’t running a rotation of Jamey Wright/Aaron Small/Shawn Chacon out there.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM

So if you were Joe Girardi, who gets the ball in Game 2 and 3? Not sure what was ignorant about what I said. Hughes is inconsistent. Burnett is a train wreck. I personally would be nervous about giving the ball to Nova or Garcia in that situation. I guess maintaining blind faith in your team is something Yankees fans are very good at but if I were one I would be worried about their starting pitching and no amount of stats could change that

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Also interesting how you ignore the fact that a team’s season stats mean absolutely nothing in the playoffs. In a best-of-5 series any team that runs into 3 hot pitchers will see their season end pretty quickly no matter what they did over the past 162 games

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:23 PM

So if you were Joe Girardi, who gets the ball in Game 2 and 3?

Right now it’s CC/Colon/Garcia with Nova pitching a 4th game. Order depends on where they play [home vs away].

Ah the ad hominem attacks, the last bastion of those without any more ideas.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:26 PM

How was that at all an attack? Any true fan should maintain blind faith in his team, it just seems Yankees fans are better at it than most. You’re just looking to bait me into a nonsensical argument but that’s not happening

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:36 PM

You have no argument. You think their pitching is bad, when it’s clearly not. You want to bring up the last few starts, or a pitcher [Burnett] who likely won’t make a start in the playoffs.

Blind faith in your team isn’t a worthwhile trait. It’s what gets some of the phillies fans here riled up while others are more sensible. The Yanks aren’t a perfect team (think this is the third time I’ve mentioned it), but they are a lot better than you are giving them credit for.

They are a .5 game behind Boston for best in the AL, and yet they are 2-8 against them this year. They are far better than Detroit, and far better than Texas.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:42 PM

In that case I’m not sure what you’re arguing. Going into the playoffs the recent production your team is showing trumps the overall trend of the entire season. What they did since April has little bearing on how they will perform in October. Their pitching has not looked great as of late and that to me would be a cause for concern going into the playoffs. You’re assuming Texas takes their division, but the Angels very well could win the pennant. That means facing Weaver and Santana who are as tough as anyone to beat when they bring their best stuff. I already said the ALDS could go either way for the Yanks

• sparky1002 - Aug 26, 2011 at 12:46 AM

I certainly hope the Yankees will be fine during the playoffs but how can anyone not have concerns with the inconsistent pitching of Hughes, Burnett and the lapses in consistent hitting from the Yankee bats against mediocre pitchers on occasion? Im still smarting from last year. I just can`t develop enough “blind faith” I guess.

• vintage1496 - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:42 PM

I believe this argument began with the argument that the Yankees won’t do well in the playoffs because they won’t play all their games in Yankee Stadium.

Mrmojoisin, you can throw out all the questions you want about the Yankees pitching and whatnot, but that’s not relevant. They may or may not do well in the playoffs, but that is not at all dependent on where the games will be played. Kevin S and churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged are right.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:59 PM

“They may or may not do well in the playoffs, but that is not at all dependent on where the games will be played”

I never said that was the case. Kevin S. threw out a bunch of sabermetric stats to show how the Yankees are a solid road team offensively and I said that doesn’t matter because their pitching rotation is less than stellar. Take the time to read the comments and maybe attempt to understand them before posting next time

• vintage1496 - Aug 26, 2011 at 9:19 AM

If their pitching rotation is less than stellar, it doesn’t matter if they’re playing on the road or at home.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 26, 2011 at 7:14 PM

My very first comment said exactly that. Where they play their games is irrelevant when they don’t have solid pitching so I never even addressed road or away games when I made that comment. I told Kevin S. that their offensive production on the road means nothing when they don’t have solid pitching. Look:

“Based on the fact you need solid pitching to be successful in the playoffs I would say the Yankees might be in more trouble than their road wRAA or whatever sabermetric jargon you want to use suggests.”

Again, please take the time to actually read my comments if you want to have a discussion. If you don’t want to do that please stop wasting my time and refrain from wasting other’s in the future

11. kiwicricket - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:10 PM

‘Grandy Slamy’ -Chris Berman 2011

facepalm.

12. 27xwschamps - Aug 25, 2011 at 10:18 PM

BRONX BOMBERS !!!!

13. alan3008 - Aug 26, 2011 at 2:20 AM

I’ve heard of Cano, but not the other two. What teams did the Yankees steal these three players from. Do the Yankees ever develop a player in their farm system anymore? Baseball was ruined long ago with free agency.

• itsmekirill - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Cause you know, the Yankees never won anything prior to free agency.

But if it helps you feel better, the only one of those players obtained as a free agent was the immortal Russel Martin.

• cur68 - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:39 AM

That’s the immortal Canadian Russel Martin.

• jimbo1949 - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:55 AM

That’s the immortal Canadian Russell Nathan Jeanson Coltrane Martin, Jr

14. Panda Claus - Aug 26, 2011 at 10:10 AM

It only takes one game like to this to bring back the unsufferable Yankees fans. The A’s won’t be your playoff opponents so let’s not get too carried away with who starts Game #2 or 3 just yet.

Phillies fans show much more constraint.

One last thing to say about this, way to hold that 7-1 lead there Oakland. And believe you me, as an O’s fan I can recognize an epic collapse when I see one.

• jimbo1949 - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Phillies fans show much more constraint.
      Riiiight.
      400 comments to a Ryan Howard post. I think if the feelies had hit three grand slams HBT would have crashed from the onslaught. I’m just surprised they didn’t hijack the thread over speculating how soon the feelies would take to hit four.

15. sparky1002 - Aug 26, 2011 at 4:08 PM

How incredibly fitting that the most legendary team in baseball stand alone with getting 3 grandslams in one game. A feat that likely will never be equalled.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4070)