Andy Pettitte continues to not un-retire

Aug 26, 2011, 9:13 AM EST

Boston Red Sox v New York Yankees Getty Images

At some point people will not feel obligated to ask Andy Pettitte if he’s going to come back whenever they see him.  We’re not to that point yet, however. Yesterday ESPN’s Wallace Matthews ran into Pettitte when he was in town for a photo shoot and the subject came up again. Pettitte’s answer:

“Right now, I don’t think I’ll ever play again. If something changes in my heart and I feel differently, who knows? But I retired to be at home, and I’m absolutely loving it. Whatever today’s date is, I can tell you I don’t plan on playing again.”

I guess the definitive statute of limitations would be next spring training, but really, I think it’s time to start asking him about other stuff.

1. yankeesfanlen - Aug 26, 2011 at 9:21 AM

A Universe turns it’s lonely eyes to you.

2. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 26, 2011 at 9:22 AM

i wonder if 16MIL could change his heart

• paperlions - Aug 26, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Why would it? You really think he doesn’t already have enough money? Pettite has always seemed like a down to earth guy that values things in life more than money he doesn’t need.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 26, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I guess once September 1st rolls around and he isn’t on a 40-man roster, then he is toast. Until then…there’s still a chance Yankees fans :D

• Jonny 5 - Aug 26, 2011 at 9:42 AM

He’ll work again. “color commentary”

4. sdelmonte - Aug 26, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Insert dated SNL Francisco Franco reference here.

Alternately…why doesn’t Matthews go pester Brett Favre?

5. southofheaven81 - Aug 26, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Good. He had a great career and left after a quality season. His retirement left the door open for someone like Ivan Nova to come into his own as a starter. I have no desire to see him come back until he starts to embarrass himself.

6. kinggeorge96 - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Is he waiting for a ticket into the Crafty Lefty HOF?

7. Utley's Hair - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM

And we can all thank Michael Jordan and Brett Favre for this.

8. pisano - Aug 27, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Let sleeping dogs lie. He’s made it clear that he’s finished with baseball and the media should just let it go and leave the guy alone.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4552)