Blue Jays manager John Farrell has pneumonia

Aug 26, 2011, 8:46 AM EST

John Farrell

Blue Jays manager John Farrell left last night’s game against the Royals with chest pains and discomfort. The good news is that he didn’t have a heart attack or anything. The bad news:  pneumonia:

He was later diagnosed with pneumonia. Farrell has been released from hospital and is expected to return to the team Friday.

“Around the eighth inning he was moving around a little funny and I asked him,” bench coach Don Wakamatsu said in a quiet clubhouse. “He was struggling a little bit with his side. The report is it’s more of a muscle spasm. They took him in to get checked and everything else seemed to be fine.”

I’ve never had pneumonia, but one would think that it would require a bit more than a couple of innings off.  Indeed, one of the most important things you can do in such instances is rest.  But hey, if the doctors say Farrell can be with the team today, I guess he can be with the team today.

1. FC - Aug 26, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Man, I had that earlier this year, it’s thoroughly unpleasant. I had the misfortune of having my symptoms flare up during the night and throughout the morning I was just terrible. Had to go to the hospital in the afternoon. I couldn’t stop twitching or fidgeting from the aches and the pains. Older people are far more vulnerable to it. Hopefully Farrell got quick attention to alleviate those symptoms before they really knocked him out. I was out for 3-4 days but it hit me pretty strong. I would not be surprised to see John given medical leave for about a week.

Get well John!

2. proudlycanadian - Aug 26, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Argeed!

3. Sportsdrenched - Aug 26, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I had pneumonia as a kid, and have dealt with some sort of pnuematic illness all of my life. Can’t imagine he felt real good before the game. You spend most of your energy just breathing.

Get well and get that taken care of.

4. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 26, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Im sure his bluegays locking up 4th place AGAIN has a lot to do with this as stress is known to bring on a lot of health issues. This is why the jays never seen to hold on to a manager for more then 2-3 years at a time.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Hello Harry. I suspected that you were the source of the thumbs down under ny post. Are you tired of being good? Recently, I have given you 3 thumbs up. I realize that is is hard to change, but I am sure that there is some good in you.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM

He has recovered from the earthquake.

• cur68 - Aug 26, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Y’know Harry, if it wasn’t for your penchant for being a total douche most of the time you probably wouldn’t have that locater ankle bracelet and the probation officer? Food for thought.

• Mark - Aug 26, 2011 at 10:02 AM

So could you guys ban this troll from posting? Please and thanks.

5. jaysfan64 - Aug 26, 2011 at 1:42 PM

What a combination…Farrell with pneumonia, Cecil with strep throat….who’s next??
    This troll…”dirty/hairy”…not even worth a response….

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester