Aug 26, 2011, 3:07 PM EST
With Jim Thome joining the club, the Indians have shaken up their roster some in advance of Friday’s game against the Royals. Left fielder Michael Brantley (wrist) and starting pitcher Josh Tomlin (elbow) have both gone on the DL, and left-handed reliever Nick Hagadone has been called up to make his major league debut.
Hagadone, a 2006 supplemental first-round pick of the Red Sox, was seen by many as just as important of a piece as Justin Masterson in the July 31, 2009 deal that sent Victor Martinez from Cleveland to Boston. However, his command deserted him in 2010, and the Indians opted to shift him to the pen at the end of the year. He’s been a fine reliever this season, amassing a 2.65 ERA and a 74/21 K/BB ratio in 68 innings between Double-A Akron and Triple-A Columbus.
Still, Hagadone’s stay could be a short one, as the Indians will need to replace Tomlin in the rotation next week. Jeanmar Gomez and Mitch Talbot will be candidates to claim the spot. Talbot, who cleared waivers and was outright to Triple-A earlier this month, pitched seven scoreless innings in his last start for Columbus.
Brantley’s absence leaves the Indians with just 3 1/2 outfielders in Shin-Soo Choo, Kosuke Fukudome, Ezequiel Carrera and Shelley Duncan. One wonders if they’ll consider giving Matt LaPorta the occasional start in left against a lefty. In Fukudome, Carrera and Jim Thome, they have three players who don’t typically face many southpaws.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 329
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (329)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)