Aug 26, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
UPDATE: Earlier today word was that the Sunday Mets-Braves game was cancelled due to the hurricane. Now they’ve cancelled Saturday’s too. New York is closing mass transit at noon on Saturday for fear of flooding and chaos. Without the mass transit, you’ve got no way to move the fans, the stadium workers and others in and out of the place.
And, oh yeah, if things are bad enough that they have to close mass transit, the weather is not likely to be baseball friendly in the first place.
So, tonight is both the first game and the rubber match in the Mets-Braves series!
UPDATE II: OK, not technically a rubber match. They just announced that the two cancelled games will be made up in a double header on September 8th.
10:59 AM: The Sunday games keep falling, with it just being announced that the Braves-Mets game has been cancelled. Saturday’s game has been moved from 4pm to 1pm.
No word on a makeup date for the Sunday game, but both the Mets and the Braves have an off day on September 8th. The day before that the Braves will be in Philly and then on their way to St. Louis. The Mets will be just getting back from Miami before a homestand, so it could work.
My paternal grandmother’s name was Irene, by the way. Just thought you should know that.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (246)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (147)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)