Aug 26, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
UPDATE: Earlier today word was that the Sunday Mets-Braves game was cancelled due to the hurricane. Now they’ve cancelled Saturday’s too. New York is closing mass transit at noon on Saturday for fear of flooding and chaos. Without the mass transit, you’ve got no way to move the fans, the stadium workers and others in and out of the place.
And, oh yeah, if things are bad enough that they have to close mass transit, the weather is not likely to be baseball friendly in the first place.
So, tonight is both the first game and the rubber match in the Mets-Braves series!
UPDATE II: OK, not technically a rubber match. They just announced that the two cancelled games will be made up in a double header on September 8th.
10:59 AM: The Sunday games keep falling, with it just being announced that the Braves-Mets game has been cancelled. Saturday’s game has been moved from 4pm to 1pm.
No word on a makeup date for the Sunday game, but both the Mets and the Braves have an off day on September 8th. The day before that the Braves will be in Philly and then on their way to St. Louis. The Mets will be just getting back from Miami before a homestand, so it could work.
My paternal grandmother’s name was Irene, by the way. Just thought you should know that.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL