Aug 26, 2011, 2:21 PM EST
UPDATE: Earlier today word was that the Sunday Mets-Braves game was cancelled due to the hurricane. Now they’ve cancelled Saturday’s too. New York is closing mass transit at noon on Saturday for fear of flooding and chaos. Without the mass transit, you’ve got no way to move the fans, the stadium workers and others in and out of the place.
And, oh yeah, if things are bad enough that they have to close mass transit, the weather is not likely to be baseball friendly in the first place.
So, tonight is both the first game and the rubber match in the Mets-Braves series!
UPDATE II: OK, not technically a rubber match. They just announced that the two cancelled games will be made up in a double header on September 8th.
10:59 AM: The Sunday games keep falling, with it just being announced that the Braves-Mets game has been cancelled. Saturday’s game has been moved from 4pm to 1pm.
No word on a makeup date for the Sunday game, but both the Mets and the Braves have an off day on September 8th. The day before that the Braves will be in Philly and then on their way to St. Louis. The Mets will be just getting back from Miami before a homestand, so it could work.
My paternal grandmother’s name was Irene, by the way. Just thought you should know that.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 28
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 58
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27