Aug 26, 2011, 2:21 PM EST
UPDATE: Earlier today word was that the Sunday Mets-Braves game was cancelled due to the hurricane. Now they’ve cancelled Saturday’s too. New York is closing mass transit at noon on Saturday for fear of flooding and chaos. Without the mass transit, you’ve got no way to move the fans, the stadium workers and others in and out of the place.
And, oh yeah, if things are bad enough that they have to close mass transit, the weather is not likely to be baseball friendly in the first place.
So, tonight is both the first game and the rubber match in the Mets-Braves series!
UPDATE II: OK, not technically a rubber match. They just announced that the two cancelled games will be made up in a double header on September 8th.
10:59 AM: The Sunday games keep falling, with it just being announced that the Braves-Mets game has been cancelled. Saturday’s game has been moved from 4pm to 1pm.
No word on a makeup date for the Sunday game, but both the Mets and the Braves have an off day on September 8th. The day before that the Braves will be in Philly and then on their way to St. Louis. The Mets will be just getting back from Miami before a homestand, so it could work.
My paternal grandmother’s name was Irene, by the way. Just thought you should know that.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 245
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (247)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)