UPDATE: Now both Saturday and Sunday’s Mets-Braves games are canceled

Aug 26, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT

Irene - Thursday

UPDATE:  Earlier today word was that the Sunday Mets-Braves game was cancelled due to the hurricane. Now they’ve cancelled Saturday’s too.  New York is closing mass transit at noon on Saturday for fear of flooding and chaos. Without the mass transit, you’ve got no way to move the fans, the stadium workers and others in and out of the place.

And, oh yeah, if things are bad enough that they have to close mass transit, the weather is not likely to be baseball friendly in the first place.

So, tonight is both the first game and the rubber match in the Mets-Braves series!

UPDATE II:  OK, not technically a rubber match. They just announced that the two cancelled games will be made up in a double header on September 8th.

10:59 AM: The Sunday games keep falling, with it just being announced that the Braves-Mets game has been cancelled.  Saturday’s game has been moved from 4pm to 1pm.

No word on a makeup date for the Sunday game, but both the Mets and the Braves have an off day on September 8th. The day before that the Braves will be in Philly and then on their way to St. Louis. The Mets will be just getting back from Miami before a homestand, so it could work.

My paternal grandmother’s name was Irene, by the way.  Just thought you should know that.

1. halladaysbiceps - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM

“Irene claims another victim: Sunday’s Braves-Mets game”

Really, let’s face it, there is only one victim with this cancellation: The Braves, because they get cheated out of a win.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Unlike Baltimore, Philly and the Yankees, apparently, the Mutts don’t have the capability to play two games in one day? Or maybe they just heard a hurricane was coming?

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Baltimore, Philly, and Boston…oops. I am NOT going to ask for an edit function though…that’s old hat.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Bolaris said on WMMR that the late game won’t happen tomorrow.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 26, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Was he high on Rufinol again though?

• Utley's Hair - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM

That’s possible, but unconfirmed. However, SEPTA’s shutting down around 6 or so tomorrow night, also.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I wonder if John Bolaris is planning any further trips to Florida in the near future to be drugged by Eastern European women not ONCE, but TWICE and robbed?

• Jonny 5 - Aug 26, 2011 at 4:12 PM

The 7:05 game is officially cancelled now.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 26, 2011 at 4:49 PM

So Bolaris’ mind tricks worked.

3. Jonny 5 - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM

This Hurricane is the exact model of Hurricane Gloria that hit us back in 1985. It’s got the same track almost to the letter. It’s just a little bigger and badder than Gloria was. So, see what happened to your area back then, and prepare for that or a bit worse.

• trevorb06 - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Weather models, including hurricanes, can still and usually do change on an hourly basis. That thing could lose half its power in a couple days for all we know. It could change direction. Heck, it could even become the biggest storm ever.

• trevorb06 - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I just read that it’s already weakening as its hitting the carolinas.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:53 AM

It’s been forecast to do that, but strengthen a bit after it hits the water again.

• sdelmonte - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Gloria was a wash in NYC. I am expecting the same now.

• firedude7160 - Aug 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I think that is a very wise suggestion

• Utley's Hair - Aug 26, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Firedude doesn’t want to have to climb any ladders in TS-force winds to rescue any idiots who don’t take it seriously. Unless he’s like the Fahrenheit 451 fire guys…if so, all bets are off.

• firedude7160 - Aug 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM

In the wise words of Ron White: “It’s not *that* the wind is blowin’. It’s *what* the wind is blowin’.”

I am all for a little excitement, but I would prefer to not be what the wind is blowin’

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Would you current east coasters (I’m an O.E.C…original east coaster) stop whining? God, it’s like you never got wet or shook a little bit before. Tee hee.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Damn, that looks like a winner of a flick!!! HAHAHA!

5. girardisbraces - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:34 AM

My mother’s name is Irene. My son has taken to calling the storm “Hurricane Nana” in honor of his grandmother. Trust me, it’s fitting….

But anyway, how is this not affecting the Yanks/Orioles series? They are supposed to play 5 games in 4 days….

6. sdelmonte - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM

It’s silly to cancel today for Sunday. Just watch. The field will be usable Sunday.

Had two different discount ticket offers for the game, but decided not to go. I am sorta glad I didn’t, since I doubt I would have another day to use the raincheck.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 26, 2011 at 5:13 PM

The Mayor of Baltimore declared a state of emergency- how is Sunday’s game not cancelled yet? I have tickets- has anyone heard anything?

7. sweepthleg - Aug 26, 2011 at 1:48 PM

The hurricane will continue to build strength as it move up the coast from the warm waters of the gulf stream. It’s going to be freaking huge! Carolina will get the worst but if it pushes farther inland than the projection it should lose power quickly, but if it flows the coast like the projection says it will lose power slowly as it works it’s way up the coast and New York City could get a big one.

8. mikedi33 - Aug 26, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Transit in Philly is stopping at pm Sat so I am sure the second game in Philly will be cancelled too.

9. mikedi33 - Aug 26, 2011 at 2:33 PM

6 pm

10. sdelmonte - Aug 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM

And now I am utterly aghast at how the city and state are handling things. It is far too soon to make such a decision. They should be waiting till tomorrow.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 26, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Tis better to corral millions of people with more notice. And the latest track has New York more susceptible than it was before, so it seems to be a good move on their part.

• firedude7160 - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I respectfully disagree. You can’t wait till the last second and then try to evacuate a city (especially an island one the size of NYC). It is people like you that cause people like me to have to go out in a storm and try to rescue you. I understand that you don’t believe the storm will be bad, but I would much rather see the evacuations that were not needed instead of people dying because they were not forced to leave. In a life and death situation you are on the side of caution every time

11. SOBEIT - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Alright, let’s do this…Friday night triple header…no, everyone already left you say.

Can’t believe all the panic over this hurricane. Cat1 or 2 is no big deal…no way it arrives as a 3. I live in Miami and anything at Cat3 or below is a hurricane party. 4 or 5…get out of dodge and hunker down.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Some houses in Philadelphia have been known to fall down from people farting too hard. And many flood out with half the rain we expect to see, so it’s going to be a big deal for some, not so much for others.

• firedude7160 - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM

The towns and cities in Miami, and other hurricane prone areas, are designed and built differently than those on the northeastern coast. Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Boston were not designed to handle the winds or floods caused by any type of hurricane. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Miami also does not have an underground metro (subway) system that people rely heavily on for transportation. So while most southern east coast cities wouldn’t be as worried about hurricanes of this magnitude, we have no choice but to worry

12. lanflfan - Aug 26, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Hope all you east coast fans take care and stay safe.

I think I’ll go check my earthquake kit, just in case Mother Nature wants to hit two coasts with one swing (sort of).

• Utley's Hair - Aug 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Just remember not to set off any flares out there, ’cause spraying those wildfires could cause mudslides. Mmmm…mudslides…damn…I need Kahlua.

Yet another WS run for the Giants