Aug 26, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Ivan Rodriguez hasn’t played since July 6 due to an oblique injury and the Nationals don’t really have any room for him with Wilson Ramos and Jesus Flores splitting time behind the plate, but the future Hall of Famer is determined to play again this season.
Steven Miller of MLB.com reports that Rodriguez will begin a rehab assignment Saturday at Single-A, although he already had a rehab stint scheduled for earlier this month and had to cancel those plans.
If everything goes well this time around Rodriguez is hoping to play four games in the minors and then rejoin the Nationals late next week, by which point rosters will have expended and activating him from the disabled list without a clear role to fill won’t be an issue.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 65
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 31
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)