Aug 26, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Ivan Rodriguez hasn’t played since July 6 due to an oblique injury and the Nationals don’t really have any room for him with Wilson Ramos and Jesus Flores splitting time behind the plate, but the future Hall of Famer is determined to play again this season.
Steven Miller of MLB.com reports that Rodriguez will begin a rehab assignment Saturday at Single-A, although he already had a rehab stint scheduled for earlier this month and had to cancel those plans.
If everything goes well this time around Rodriguez is hoping to play four games in the minors and then rejoin the Nationals late next week, by which point rosters will have expended and activating him from the disabled list without a clear role to fill won’t be an issue.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 43
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (98)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)