Aug 26, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Ivan Rodriguez hasn’t played since July 6 due to an oblique injury and the Nationals don’t really have any room for him with Wilson Ramos and Jesus Flores splitting time behind the plate, but the future Hall of Famer is determined to play again this season.
Steven Miller of MLB.com reports that Rodriguez will begin a rehab assignment Saturday at Single-A, although he already had a rehab stint scheduled for earlier this month and had to cancel those plans.
If everything goes well this time around Rodriguez is hoping to play four games in the minors and then rejoin the Nationals late next week, by which point rosters will have expended and activating him from the disabled list without a clear role to fill won’t be an issue.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?