Aug 26, 2011, 1:52 PM EST
The first 10,000 fans through the turnstiles at Target Field tonight will receive the toy pictured to the right and the fact that the Twins had the giveaway scheduled for August 26 shows that being out of contention and trading the future Hall of Famer wasn’t even a possibility in their collective mind coming into the season.
It was probably nice enough for the Twins to trade Thome to the Indians for a player to be named later expected to be a marginal prospect, but maybe they could have worked out a side deal for the 10,000 wind-up walkers too. All it takes for the toy to be wearing an Indians hat and uniform is a few interns and some paint. For the sake of accuracy it could use some stir-ups anyway.
(Dap to Michael Rand of the Minneapolis Star Tribune for the photo.)
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)