Aug 26, 2011, 1:52 PM EDT
The first 10,000 fans through the turnstiles at Target Field tonight will receive the toy pictured to the right and the fact that the Twins had the giveaway scheduled for August 26 shows that being out of contention and trading the future Hall of Famer wasn’t even a possibility in their collective mind coming into the season.
It was probably nice enough for the Twins to trade Thome to the Indians for a player to be named later expected to be a marginal prospect, but maybe they could have worked out a side deal for the 10,000 wind-up walkers too. All it takes for the toy to be wearing an Indians hat and uniform is a few interns and some paint. For the sake of accuracy it could use some stir-ups anyway.
(Dap to Michael Rand of the Minneapolis Star Tribune for the photo.)
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (116)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)