Aug 26, 2011, 1:52 PM EDT
The first 10,000 fans through the turnstiles at Target Field tonight will receive the toy pictured to the right and the fact that the Twins had the giveaway scheduled for August 26 shows that being out of contention and trading the future Hall of Famer wasn’t even a possibility in their collective mind coming into the season.
It was probably nice enough for the Twins to trade Thome to the Indians for a player to be named later expected to be a marginal prospect, but maybe they could have worked out a side deal for the 10,000 wind-up walkers too. All it takes for the toy to be wearing an Indians hat and uniform is a few interns and some paint. For the sake of accuracy it could use some stir-ups anyway.
(Dap to Michael Rand of the Minneapolis Star Tribune for the photo.)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 76
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 23
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 93
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)