Aug 26, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
The New York Post reports that it’s “unlikely” Johan Santana will return this season. The team is looking at winter ball or perhaps the instructional league to get him some work, but Sandy Alderson says that he’s going to need rest too.
Color me not surprised. When the initial time tables came out over the winter having Santana back at the break, and then it slipped into August, and then there were various setbacks but, largely, no real news, it just sort of felt like it was going to be a completely lost season.
Shoulders are frightening things. After seeing what has happened to Brandon Webb these past few years, I can’t think of anything worse than learning that your ace has shoulder problems. I’d take double Tommy John surgery over that because, structurally speaking, elbows are a walk in the park compared to shoulders.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 34
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 84
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)