Aug 26, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
The New York Post reports that it’s “unlikely” Johan Santana will return this season. The team is looking at winter ball or perhaps the instructional league to get him some work, but Sandy Alderson says that he’s going to need rest too.
Color me not surprised. When the initial time tables came out over the winter having Santana back at the break, and then it slipped into August, and then there were various setbacks but, largely, no real news, it just sort of felt like it was going to be a completely lost season.
Shoulders are frightening things. After seeing what has happened to Brandon Webb these past few years, I can’t think of anything worse than learning that your ace has shoulder problems. I’d take double Tommy John surgery over that because, structurally speaking, elbows are a walk in the park compared to shoulders.
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)