Aug 26, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
The New York Post reports that it’s “unlikely” Johan Santana will return this season. The team is looking at winter ball or perhaps the instructional league to get him some work, but Sandy Alderson says that he’s going to need rest too.
Color me not surprised. When the initial time tables came out over the winter having Santana back at the break, and then it slipped into August, and then there were various setbacks but, largely, no real news, it just sort of felt like it was going to be a completely lost season.
Shoulders are frightening things. After seeing what has happened to Brandon Webb these past few years, I can’t think of anything worse than learning that your ace has shoulder problems. I’d take double Tommy John surgery over that because, structurally speaking, elbows are a walk in the park compared to shoulders.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)