Aug 26, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
The New York Post reports that it’s “unlikely” Johan Santana will return this season. The team is looking at winter ball or perhaps the instructional league to get him some work, but Sandy Alderson says that he’s going to need rest too.
Color me not surprised. When the initial time tables came out over the winter having Santana back at the break, and then it slipped into August, and then there were various setbacks but, largely, no real news, it just sort of felt like it was going to be a completely lost season.
Shoulders are frightening things. After seeing what has happened to Brandon Webb these past few years, I can’t think of anything worse than learning that your ace has shoulder problems. I’d take double Tommy John surgery over that because, structurally speaking, elbows are a walk in the park compared to shoulders.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 24
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 30
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)