Aug 26, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
The New York Post reports that it’s “unlikely” Johan Santana will return this season. The team is looking at winter ball or perhaps the instructional league to get him some work, but Sandy Alderson says that he’s going to need rest too.
Color me not surprised. When the initial time tables came out over the winter having Santana back at the break, and then it slipped into August, and then there were various setbacks but, largely, no real news, it just sort of felt like it was going to be a completely lost season.
Shoulders are frightening things. After seeing what has happened to Brandon Webb these past few years, I can’t think of anything worse than learning that your ace has shoulder problems. I’d take double Tommy John surgery over that because, structurally speaking, elbows are a walk in the park compared to shoulders.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 22
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)