Aug 26, 2011, 9:36 PM EDT
Bautista yelled at home-plate umpire Bill Welke, took his bat to the dugout wall and threw his bat and helmet onto the field after being tossed from the game in the sixth inning. He had struck out in all three of his plate appearances.
Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune points out that Shields became the first pitcher since Felix Hernandez on Sept. 24, 2009 to strike out Bautista three times in a game.
Bautista, a top candidate for AL MVP honors, entered the night with a .317 average, 37 homers and 82 RBI. He had 83 strikeouts and 105 walks in 117 games.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 0
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 14
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 42
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 12
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)