Aug 26, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
Let’s stop talking about games that have been cancelled and start talking about games that matter. Like the series that really and truly matters most this weekend, the Angels vs. the Rangers.
Who’d-a-thunk it a week and a half ago when Texas soundly dispatched Anaheim, taking three of four in the Big A, and extending their division lead to seven? Then the Angels went on a tear and the Rangers lost their gravity and here we are with only two games separating the two.
Tonight is Dan Haren vs. Derek Holland. Haren was knocked around by the Rangers back on July 20th, but he’s on a bit of a roll right now. Holland is the opposite: he was pretty sharp the last time out against Texas but has had a rough go of it in August otherwise, most recently being beat up by the White Sox. I’m told by the sports writing guild that I am obligated to say “something’s gotta give” here, but I’m not even sure that applies. But hey, rules are rules.
Real pennant race baseball. And no hurricanes. Guaranteed.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)