Look! A series with playoff implications!

Aug 26, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v Minnesota Twins Getty Images

Let’s stop talking about games that have been cancelled and start talking about games that matter. Like the series that really and truly matters most this weekend, the Angels vs. the Rangers.

Who’d-a-thunk it a week and a half ago when Texas soundly dispatched Anaheim, taking three of four in the Big A, and extending their division lead to seven?  Then the Angels went on a tear and the Rangers lost their gravity and here we are with only two games separating the two.

Tonight is Dan Haren vs. Derek Holland. Haren was knocked around by the Rangers back on July 20th, but he’s on a bit of a roll right now. Holland is the opposite: he was pretty sharp the last time out against Texas but has had a rough go of it in August otherwise, most recently being beat up by the White Sox.  I’m told by the sports writing guild that I am obligated to say “something’s gotta give” here, but I’m not even sure that applies. But hey, rules are rules.

In the other two games it’s C.J. Wilson vs. Joel Piniero and then Colby Lewis vs. Jered Weaver on Sunday Night Baseball.

Real pennant race baseball. And no hurricanes. Guaranteed.

1. antlerclaws - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Butterflies in my stomach over this one. Red Sox definitely got revenge for their opening series fiasco. Derek Holland is, in my opinion, the most unpredictable Ranger pitcher. He throws two complete game shutouts in a row, then gets knocked out in the second inning as a follow-up. And Rangers finish up the season in Anaheim, so this one could go down to the wire.

2. yankeesgameday - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Yawn. Booooooorrrrring.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Seriously? This series is the best baseball all weekend. Wake up east coast! Wake up!

• Sportsdrenched - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Really? What else you gonna do, listen to the Jets v Giants on the radio?

• mrfloydpink - Aug 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM

You know what I think is boring? Whenever there’s yet ANOTHER Yankees-Red Sox game on ESPN. I mean, I get it already. They’re rivals. They’re both going to the playoffs. Yadda yadda.

• marinersnate - Aug 26, 2011 at 7:08 PM

“Yawn. Booooooorrrrring.”

Oh absolutely. I mean how could it possibly be a big series? The Yankees aren’t playing in it.

• yankeesgameday - Aug 27, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Hahahaha. Guys, that post was meant to say exactly what you wrote “how could it possibly be a big. series if the Yankees arent playing in it” but in an entirely ironic way. think john stewart or Stephen Colbert.

every one makes so much of the Yankees on tv, dominating media attention etc that I was making fun of all that.

Satire doesn’t fly around here though.

heck I live in Orange county, Ca. The big A is 20 min from my house.

3. trevorb06 - Aug 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Haren was probably also commenting on how he’s glad he doesn’t play for a team which the fans are known for being whiners and crybabies.

4. pauleee - Aug 26, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I think they’re bumping Piniero for Santana. Can’t afford to lose any of the ground they’ve made up this week. Go Halos!

5. SmackSaw - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Holy smokes! I actually have a sporting event to watch this weekend.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5133)