NBC blogger looks to pick fight with millions, proposes “putting ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ out to pasture”
Aug 26, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
Not me! I swear! Even though I pretty much agree with everything Off The Bench’s Rick Chandler says in his post today about getting rid of “The Star Spangled Banner” as our national anthem:*
Now, no one loves America more than me, except perhaps Apollo Creed. But I say it may be time to put The Star-Spangled Banner out to pasture, and let another song have its turn as our National Anthem. The SSB is impossible to sing, the lyrics are hard to remember and it’s too long. Also there’s always the chance the Christina Aguilera could get her hands on it again. In the age of micro technology, The Star-Spangled Banneris a papyrus scroll in a clay jar. If I instead sing America the Beautiful or Hail, Columbia or Ain’t That Americaby John Mellancamp, it doesn’t mean that I love the USA any less. I’m still singing, for God’s sake. It’s just different words that mean the same thing.
For me it’s not a matter of aesthetics or what pop singers often do to it before ballgames as much as it’s about what is most laudable about our country. Do we praise the flag itself? That seems narrow. The bombs bursting in air? Beside the point. I’m all about the purple mountains majesty and amber waves of grain, so I’d go with “America the Beautiful.”
Well, that and equality and the little guy, but no one would ever go for “This Land is Your Land” once the FOX news people started going on about how it’s a commie anthem.
*No, there’s no baseball content here, but since the Anthem is such a big part of the going to the ballpark experience, it’s fair game. Sort of like the kiss cam.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 1
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 37
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 118
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (118)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)