NBC blogger looks to pick fight with millions, proposes “putting ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ out to pasture”
Aug 26, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
Not me! I swear! Even though I pretty much agree with everything Off The Bench’s Rick Chandler says in his post today about getting rid of “The Star Spangled Banner” as our national anthem:*
Now, no one loves America more than me, except perhaps Apollo Creed. But I say it may be time to put The Star-Spangled Banner out to pasture, and let another song have its turn as our National Anthem. The SSB is impossible to sing, the lyrics are hard to remember and it’s too long. Also there’s always the chance the Christina Aguilera could get her hands on it again. In the age of micro technology, The Star-Spangled Banneris a papyrus scroll in a clay jar. If I instead sing America the Beautiful or Hail, Columbia or Ain’t That Americaby John Mellancamp, it doesn’t mean that I love the USA any less. I’m still singing, for God’s sake. It’s just different words that mean the same thing.
For me it’s not a matter of aesthetics or what pop singers often do to it before ballgames as much as it’s about what is most laudable about our country. Do we praise the flag itself? That seems narrow. The bombs bursting in air? Beside the point. I’m all about the purple mountains majesty and amber waves of grain, so I’d go with “America the Beautiful.”
Well, that and equality and the little guy, but no one would ever go for “This Land is Your Land” once the FOX news people started going on about how it’s a commie anthem.
*No, there’s no baseball content here, but since the Anthem is such a big part of the going to the ballpark experience, it’s fair game. Sort of like the kiss cam.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 9
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)