Aug 26, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
After dating for three years, Minka Kelly and Derek Jeter have broken up, her rep confirms to PEOPLE. “They care about each other and it was amicable,” says a source. “They’re still friends.”
It’s admirable that Jeter has been able to soldier through this difficult time. I mean, now that the woman who has been the love of his life these past three years is gone, he is left with nothing but his immense wealth, incomparable fame, unblemished reputation and his power to have anything he wants in the world short of having someone killed to fall back on. And I’m not 100% certain about the not-being-able-to-have-someone-killed part. There’s a bit of a gray area there when it comes to mega-celebrities.
But this is not just Derek Jeter’s loss. It’s ours too, and this should be a reflective time for all of us. I mean, if a big time professional athlete and a gorgeous Hollywood starlet can’t make a go of it, what possible hope do the rest of us have?
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)