Aug 26, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
Hernandez seemed like an obvious fit with either the Giants or Angels earlier this season, but the Reds weren’t willing to trade him prior to the July 31 deadline and there was little chance of a deal coming together this month. Because Hernandez is earning just $3 million this year and projects as a Type A free agent, it’s doubtful that he even made it to the Giants on waivers.
With top prospect Devin Mesoraco on the way and a strong backup in Ryan Hanigan in the fold, the Reds seem unlikely to re-sign Hernandez this winter. Still, they’re likely better off with two draft picks as compensation than with whatever return an August deal would have brought.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)