Aug 26, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
Hernandez seemed like an obvious fit with either the Giants or Angels earlier this season, but the Reds weren’t willing to trade him prior to the July 31 deadline and there was little chance of a deal coming together this month. Because Hernandez is earning just $3 million this year and projects as a Type A free agent, it’s doubtful that he even made it to the Giants on waivers.
With top prospect Devin Mesoraco on the way and a strong backup in Ryan Hanigan in the fold, the Reds seem unlikely to re-sign Hernandez this winter. Still, they’re likely better off with two draft picks as compensation than with whatever return an August deal would have brought.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 15
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)