Aug 26, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
Hernandez seemed like an obvious fit with either the Giants or Angels earlier this season, but the Reds weren’t willing to trade him prior to the July 31 deadline and there was little chance of a deal coming together this month. Because Hernandez is earning just $3 million this year and projects as a Type A free agent, it’s doubtful that he even made it to the Giants on waivers.
With top prospect Devin Mesoraco on the way and a strong backup in Ryan Hanigan in the fold, the Reds seem unlikely to re-sign Hernandez this winter. Still, they’re likely better off with two draft picks as compensation than with whatever return an August deal would have brought.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (198)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)