The Orioles will wear a Mike Flanagan patch the rest of the season

Aug 26, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT

Mike Flanagan

The Orioles have announced several things they’ll be doing in remembrance of Mike Flanagan, who took his own life on Wednesday.  Among them:

• Players and coaches will wear a black patch on their sleeves with the word “FLANNY” written on it;
  • A black banner will be displayed with the number 46 on it below the broadcast booth in which Flanagan worked;
  • The Orioles flag at Camden Yards will be flown at half staff; and
  • Finally, the Orioles have set up a virtual guest book in which fans can share their condolences and memories of Flanagan.

I know that whatever drives a person to kill themselves does not correspond very well with rationality, but it is a shame that Flanagan could not feel in life the love and good will that is felt for him on the occasion of his passing and which was surely there all along.

1. atworkident - Aug 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM

What did they do when Mike Cuellar passed away?

2. Bryz - Aug 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM

It’s nice that they’re honoring him just like any team would do, but it bothers me that they’re doing all of this for a guy that committed suicide. I’d think the patch and half-mast flag would be enough.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I’m with you on this. Not to be judgmental of an obviously tragic situation, but this all sends a weird message. How about donations to a mental health crisis charity or something like that? It would be good to get a little bit of a ‘this didn’t need to happen’ message in there somehow.

• alang3131982 - Aug 26, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Maybe if you were Orioles fans or Flanny fans you’d understand. This has little to do with how his life ended.

It’s about remembering a great Orioles, a guy who was a good broadcaster and worked with the organization forever. And in that sense, it’s about the fans – this is a way for fans to deal with it how they see fit and there’s nothing wrong with that.

How does this send a weird message? I cant imagine anyone looks at it and thinks, wow they’re condoning suicide, so, yep, might be the right path for me…

• Utley's Hair - Aug 26, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Understood, but I echo Craig here when I say that those who commit suicide aren’t all exactly poster children for rational thinking.

• Panda Claus - Aug 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Few of us here, Craig being the likely exception, would be considered poster children for rational thinking.

Taking the whole “perception is reality” stance, most O’s fans perceived of Flanagan as a positive public figure and probably will choose to hold onto that memory rather than the reality of how he died.

Lots of people have their personal demons. Does that mean we should forget all of their contributions during their life just because of how it ended?

Maybe if someone snaps and takes out a neighborhood on their way off the planet then yes, you can revise and lower your opinion of them.

But while I certainly don’t condone suicide, that alone isn’t enough to make me think any less of him.

• Bryz - Aug 26, 2011 at 4:17 PM

@alang

The reason I made my post is because in a class I took for my education major, “Adolescent Health,” one thing we learned was to not glamorize a student’s suicide. You don’t want to be showing other students that you’ll get more attention if you kill yourself.

Granted, all this remembrance for Flanagan will likely catch the eye of more rational adults than teenagers, but I have to feel that the same thing is true. Being a Twins fan and having Harmon Killebrew dying from cancer, I don’t feel it’s right to have Flanagan’s suicide treated in a similar manner as Killebrew’s death.

3. Panda Claus - Aug 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Craig, I couldn’t have said it better than you did in your last sentence. If only he could have known how he well he was perceived.

4. pisano - Aug 26, 2011 at 11:51 PM

God rest his soul, but none of us were walking in his shoes. Whatever the reason for this ending only he knew. I remember years ago hearing a speaker talking about suicide and his rational was that no matter how bad things today, tomorrow things will look a little better. It stayed with me, not that I ever had the thought of suicide,(thank God) but it just made alot of sense to me.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5584)