Aug 26, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
Dash Treyhorn of The Fightins has a long post up today countering the belief among some in Phillies Nation* that Ryan Madson simply doesn’t have a “closer’s mentality.”
We get plenty of Phillies navel-gazing in these parts lately so I don’t post it for that (bring back Steve Bedrosian; I really don’t care who closes games for the Phillies). I post it for the more general observations he makes about such arguments. Arguments which seem to ignore the fact that the best closers year-in and year-out tend to, you know, not have anything approaching a single mentality and, in fact, a lot of them are high-strung loonies.
Dash is right: the whole closer’s mentality thing is a post-facto assessment. If a guy is a good pitcher late in games, voila, he has a closer’s mentality. If not, he doesn’t. It’s pretty ridiculous stuff.
Anyway, a good read on a topic that is so rife with nonsense.
*The Red Sox have a Nation and the Yankees a Universe. What do the Phillies have?
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 0
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 174
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (174)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)