Wrigley Field likely getting the 2016 All-Star Game

Aug 26, 2011, 5:30 PM EST

Wrigley Field

That’s the story from Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago.  Of course, the way Major League Baseball works they won’t make it official until, like, spring 2015 even though they’ve been printing up stuff about it for months. I mean, they haven’t even announced where 2013’s game is going to be yet.

Why so far out in advance for Wrigley?  Levine notes:

The Chicago Cubs originally had petitioned Major League Baseball for the 2014 game, but Wrigley Field, in its current state, is not prepared for the events that occur along with the game, including the Fanfest and live entertainment.

So there’s plenty of time for Tom Ricketts to (a) try to get the city and the state to help him make major upgrades to Wrigley between now and then; and (b) for baseball to threaten to pull the All-Star Game from Wrigley if the public lucre doesn’t come flowing.

1. pjmitch - Aug 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I’m not a Cubs fan but at age 54 attended my first Wrigley Game earlier this month. Screw the All-Star Game. Don’t touch a hair on the parks head. It is perfect that way it is. I loved it!!! Living in California, I actually felt like I was at a baseball game and not an entertainment center.

PM

2. halladaysbiceps - Aug 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM

The Cubs have done nothing to deserve an All-Star game from an on the field aspect. They are an organization that is in shambles right now. They should be more worried about their current state as a franchise as opposed to gaining the rights for the All-Star game.

The Phillies and their beautifull ballpark and fan base should be awarded the All-Star game. Great attendance and great product on the field should be rewarded for the event.

• amr5026 - Aug 26, 2011 at 5:51 PM

If the criteria were “on field product,” most teams would never host the ASG. It’s a celebration about baseball as a whole, not a celebration of a single team. Otherwise, why give it to KC? Plus, the Cubs draw the attendance in terms of filling the ballpark. You just don’t see it in the actual numbers because they seat less as a whole. Yeah, their front office is a mess, but that’s why you put them on notice now. Again, the ASG is about the sport, not an individual team.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 26, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I disagree. Quality of product on the field and market should dictate where the All-Star game is played. While Chicago has the big market angle covered, they have a bad product now. Should not be rewarded, in my opinion. I know the past history of the all-star games and where they have been played, but I would like to see a change to the current system for deciding.

• amr5026 - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM

They haven’t won a WS since the dawn of baseball. When would you decide they have a good enough product? When they finally win it all?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Not at all, amr5026. I think it could be a thought if they had a competitive team on the field.

Here’s my issue with all this political baseball nonsense. Darth Selig is out to destroy my game of baseball. The guy is looking into expanding the diluted playoffs more and more with adding another wild card team, further neutering a 162 game schedule. And believe me, he will have his way. Now, when selecting the city to host an All-Star game in a particular season, he will once again put his fat fingers all over it and choose a franchise, that, quite frankly, doesn’t deserve it. That’s my problem.

3. drewmunny - Aug 26, 2011 at 5:42 PM

To The State of Illinois:

As a lifelong resident of the State, I can see nothing more important than bringing the all-star game to the city of Chicago. In fact, I want this so badly that I fully support further cuts in early childhood programs, health and human aid, and forget pension reform, just cut state support for anything other than this endeavor. Hell, we’re near insolvency anyway, couldn’t possibly attract business to add new jobs with our tax structure, so, go for it! Please!
    (disclaimer – that was all SARCASM)

• proudlycanadian - Aug 26, 2011 at 5:52 PM

It seems to be a squeeze play to get the City and State to spend money. Why not just let them threaten to move the franchise, and lend them a deaf ear?

4. ikedavisnose - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Did biscep boy say philledelphia and nice fans in the sentence and without the word not nice

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Re-read my post. Never used the word nice in the post. I did however say “beautiful ballpark” and “great attendance.”

5. jag8r904 - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Everyone realizes it said 2016? How do you know the state of the “product on the field” 5 years in advance? I know Houston just had ASG a couple years ago but going off the “product on the field” theory, if Houston had been awarded (or rewarded) with the ASG 5 years in advance for making thr WS in ’05, the worst team in the league would have hosted the ASG this season. Same logic would be punishing teams like Milwaukee and Texas.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I would go with a 2 year selection process. This isn’t the Olympics. You don’t need 5 years to get ready for an All-Star game. It’s ridiculous. Give a good organization the rights to the the game. Don’t reward a team that has nothing to merit it.

6. jag8r904 - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:28 PM

@biceps Please explain which one the Cubs are lacking, beautiful park or attendance?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Neither. It’s product on the field that should not be rewarded. See my comment above. Make the selection 2 years in advance. I’m assuming you are a Cubs fan and I feel for you. However, that doesn’t justify giving that organization the right to host an All-Star game. It has nothing to do with the good fans of the Cubs. It’s the franchise that will benefit from the economic gains that should not be rewarded.

7. jag8r904 - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:34 PM

How about rewarding an unwavering fan base that supports a terrible product?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM

See my comment above. MLB should not reward the franchise. It has nothing to do with the good Cubs fans.

• The Baseball Idiot - Aug 27, 2011 at 12:13 PM

The fans are the franchise.

8. halladaysbiceps - Aug 26, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Here is my thoughts, good Cubs fans, from a Philadelphia perspective. The last time the Phillies hosted the All-Star game was 1996, or somewhere around there. The Phillies were shit and I didn’t care that the All-Star game was here. All I cared about was the lousy product on the field that I watched everyday. I had to watch the dreck on a daily basis that the Phillies signed ala Greg Jeffries, their big free agent signing, and a collection of bums. I lived through this crap for years. Once the club moved into the new ballpark, had a new group of young players (Utley, Howard, Hamels, etc.), they started to spend more money than they ever did to continue it. My guess is that some of the old owners that he Phillies had realized they can’t live forever and decided to win now.

I watched MANY more losing seasons for the Phillies in my lifetime than I saw. So, like I originally stated, I want our franchise to be rewarded with another All-Star game.

• kinggw - Aug 26, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Your logic is ridiculous. All star games shouldn’t be given out based on a teams record. If thats the case the Phillies wouldnt have got it in 1996. Furthermore what makes you think the Phillies will be relevant past 2013? By the time 2016 rolls around the Phillies will have returned to their mediocre ways.

All Star games should go to newer parks and places they havent been in a while. The Cubs, Padres, Nats, Cincy, Rangers, and Twins all should host All-Star games before the Phillies get another one. All of these franchises have gone longer than the Phillies in terms of waiting for an ASG.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Nonsense. I didn’t say team record in any of my arguments. I basically said team stability and success, among other factors.

I take it you are a Cubs fan, which is cool. I would be more worried about who you franchise/owner hires as a GM as opposed to the Cubs getting an All-Star game. I don’t know about you, but if I was a Cubs fan, I would be in an outrage with that team right now. I don’t hear the outrage from you. That’s what Philly fans would be doing now. I don’t see you nor other fans mad. Don’t you see a problem with that?

Take your outrage on the ownership of that team and their franchise, not me.

9. Chipmaker - Aug 27, 2011 at 2:45 AM

Interesting in that the NL currently hosts the ASG in odd-numbered years, so if this comes to pass, there will have to be another hiccup in the hosting league rotation like in 2006-07. Not that this would be surprising or particularly bad, just unexpected.

2012 — KC
    2013 — NYM
    2014 — MIN
    2015 — WASH ?
    2016 — CHC

That’d work.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5717)
  2. M. Kemp (3221)
  3. J. Kang (3089)
  4. C. McGehee (3044)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3026)
  1. J. Upton (2953)