Aug 26, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
That’s the story from Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago. Of course, the way Major League Baseball works they won’t make it official until, like, spring 2015 even though they’ve been printing up stuff about it for months. I mean, they haven’t even announced where 2013′s game is going to be yet.
Why so far out in advance for Wrigley? Levine notes:
The Chicago Cubs originally had petitioned Major League Baseball for the 2014 game, but Wrigley Field, in its current state, is not prepared for the events that occur along with the game, including the Fanfest and live entertainment.
So there’s plenty of time for Tom Ricketts to (a) try to get the city and the state to help him make major upgrades to Wrigley between now and then; and (b) for baseball to threaten to pull the All-Star Game from Wrigley if the public lucre doesn’t come flowing.
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 39
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 84
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)