Aug 26, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
That’s the story from Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago. Of course, the way Major League Baseball works they won’t make it official until, like, spring 2015 even though they’ve been printing up stuff about it for months. I mean, they haven’t even announced where 2013’s game is going to be yet.
Why so far out in advance for Wrigley? Levine notes:
The Chicago Cubs originally had petitioned Major League Baseball for the 2014 game, but Wrigley Field, in its current state, is not prepared for the events that occur along with the game, including the Fanfest and live entertainment.
So there’s plenty of time for Tom Ricketts to (a) try to get the city and the state to help him make major upgrades to Wrigley between now and then; and (b) for baseball to threaten to pull the All-Star Game from Wrigley if the public lucre doesn’t come flowing.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)