Aug 26, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
That’s the story from Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago. Of course, the way Major League Baseball works they won’t make it official until, like, spring 2015 even though they’ve been printing up stuff about it for months. I mean, they haven’t even announced where 2013′s game is going to be yet.
Why so far out in advance for Wrigley? Levine notes:
The Chicago Cubs originally had petitioned Major League Baseball for the 2014 game, but Wrigley Field, in its current state, is not prepared for the events that occur along with the game, including the Fanfest and live entertainment.
So there’s plenty of time for Tom Ricketts to (a) try to get the city and the state to help him make major upgrades to Wrigley between now and then; and (b) for baseball to threaten to pull the All-Star Game from Wrigley if the public lucre doesn’t come flowing.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner