Aug 27, 2011, 12:39 PM EDT
A.J. Pierzynski won’t return from the disabled list when he’s first eligible tomorrow, but there’s a good chance he’ll be back with the White Sox as soon as next weekend.
“All good. All positive,” Pierzynski said. “We’ll do it again tomorrow and see how it reacts, and then go from there.”
Pierzynski was placed on the disabled list for the first time in his career earlier this month. He is tentatively scheduled to play three minor league rehab games with Triple-A Charlotte early next week, including one where he’ll catch Phil Humber, who is on the disabled list with a facial contusion. Barring any setbacks, the veteran backstop will return for a crucial series against the first-place Tigers next weekend.
Pierzynski, 34, is hitting .296/.338/.412 with six home runs, 39 RBI and a .750 OPS over 402 plate appearances this season. Tyler Flowers has filled in admirably during his absence, batting .333 (12-for-36) with one home run, three doubles, one triple and a .984 OPS.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)