Aug 27, 2011, 12:39 PM EST
A.J. Pierzynski won’t return from the disabled list when he’s first eligible tomorrow, but there’s a good chance he’ll be back with the White Sox as soon as next weekend.
“All good. All positive,” Pierzynski said. “We’ll do it again tomorrow and see how it reacts, and then go from there.”
Pierzynski was placed on the disabled list for the first time in his career earlier this month. He is tentatively scheduled to play three minor league rehab games with Triple-A Charlotte early next week, including one where he’ll catch Phil Humber, who is on the disabled list with a facial contusion. Barring any setbacks, the veteran backstop will return for a crucial series against the first-place Tigers next weekend.
Pierzynski, 34, is hitting .296/.338/.412 with six home runs, 39 RBI and a .750 OPS over 402 plate appearances this season. Tyler Flowers has filled in admirably during his absence, batting .333 (12-for-36) with one home run, three doubles, one triple and a .984 OPS.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)