Aug 27, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
Carlos Gonzalez extended his hitting streak to 14 games in the first inning Saturday and then just kept going, finishing 4-for-6 with two bunt singles and a pair of RBI in a 7-6 loss to the Dodgers on Saturday.
Despite spending the first five days of August on the DL finishing his recovery from a wrist injury, Gonzalez is making a strong case for NL player of the month honors. He’s hit .393 with eight homers and 26 RBI during his hitting streak and .317 with nine homers and 30 RBI in 20 games for the month.
With his third-inning single Saturday, Gonzalez moved into the Rockies’ record book by driving in a run for the 11th straight game. The previous mark of 10 games in a row was set by Vinny Castilla in April 2004.
Gonzalez’s RBI streak is also the longest in the majors this season. The longest in the last five years was a 14-game streak by Florida’s Jorge Cantu that began on Sept. 29, 2009 and ran through April 15, 2010.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires