Aug 27, 2011, 10:49 AM EST
According to Carl Steward of the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants will call up prospect left-hander Eric Surkamp to make his major league debut tonight against the Astros.
Jonathan Sanchez and Barry Zito are both sidelined with ankle sprains and Dan Runzler gave up four runs on three hits and three walks over 1 2/3 innings in his first major league start last Sunday against the Astros, so Surkamp will be asked to serve as the fifth starter for the time being.
Surkamp, 24, has improved his stock this season by posting a 2.02 ERA and 165/44 K/BB ratio over 142 1/3 innings with Double-A Richmond. He has averaged 10.7 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9 over parts of four seasons in the minor leagues. The 2008 sixth-round pick isn’t a hard thrower, but his changeup and curveball are considered plus-pitches.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)