Aug 27, 2011, 10:49 AM EDT
According to Carl Steward of the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants will call up prospect left-hander Eric Surkamp to make his major league debut tonight against the Astros.
Jonathan Sanchez and Barry Zito are both sidelined with ankle sprains and Dan Runzler gave up four runs on three hits and three walks over 1 2/3 innings in his first major league start last Sunday against the Astros, so Surkamp will be asked to serve as the fifth starter for the time being.
Surkamp, 24, has improved his stock this season by posting a 2.02 ERA and 165/44 K/BB ratio over 142 1/3 innings with Double-A Richmond. He has averaged 10.7 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9 over parts of four seasons in the minor leagues. The 2008 sixth-round pick isn’t a hard thrower, but his changeup and curveball are considered plus-pitches.
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 37
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 34
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (113)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)