Aug 27, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT
Tigers manager Jim Leyland made some waves earlier this week when he said that pitchers shouldn’t win the MVP award. This was a very bold statement considering that one of his own starters, Justin Verlander, is quickly gaining momentum for MVP consideration in the American League.
Despite his opinion on the topic, Leyland told Chris Iott of MLive.com earlier today that he would support Verlander for MVP under the current system.
“I will support Justin Verlander for the MVP to the hilt,” Leyland said. “I want to make that perfectly clear. The question that was asked of me was if I thought a pitcher should be the MVP. And my answer to that is no. But under the way the system is, I certainly will support Verlander to the hilt.”
To be fair, what else did we expect the guy to say? No need to continue to the controversy for another minute.
Anyway, Dennis Eckersley was last the pitcher to win an MVP award in 1992. While we can look back now and argue that it was a bit of a stretch to give the MVP to a relief pitcher, is it really that crazy to consider someone who has faced 803 batters coming into today’s action compared to a hitter who has maybe 700 plate appearances over the course of a season? I don’t think so. I still think Jose Bautista deserves the award at this moment, but we should leave the door open for special seasons from starting pitchers.
By the way, Verlander is currently going for his 20th win against the Twins. If you are into that sort of thing.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)