Aug 27, 2011, 8:02 PM EDT
It wasn’t his prettiest outing, but Tigers ace Justin Verlander became the first major league pitcher of the 2011 baseball season to reach the 20-win plateau in Saturday afternoon’s 6-4 victory over the Twins.
Verlander yielded eight hits and four runs, and at one point allowed back-to-back homers to light-hitting Twins reserves Luke Hughes and Jason Repko, but he eventually settled in. The 28-year-old right-hander finished the start with six strikeouts and three walks, throwing 76 of his 120 pitches for strikes.
Verlander is the first pitcher to win 20 games before the end of August since Curt Schilling accomplished the feat for the Diamondbacks in 2002. Verlander is now sporting a 20-5 record, 2.38 ERA and 0.90 WHIP through 29 starts this season. He also has 218 strikeouts in 215 2/3 innings, and has walked just 48 batters.
While Angels ace Jered Weaver deserves consideration, Verlander is the clear favorite for the American League Cy Young Award with around five weeks to go. Verlander could also draw some MVP consideration.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)