Aug 27, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
The Nationals announced earlier this afternoon that they have recalled prospect Chris Marrero from Triple-A Syracuse. According to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, Marrero will start at first base and bat seventh today against the Reds while Michael Morse plays left field.
By the way, this lineup also features Jayson Werth in center field for the first time this season.
Morse has exclusively played first base since mid-May, but Nationals manager Davey Johnson told Kilgore earlier this month that he planned to move him back out to left field in order to prepare him for next season. Adam LaRoche, who underwent season-ending surgery on his left shoulder in June, is under contract for $8 million next season and is expected to be ready for spring training.
The decision also gives the Nationals an opportunity to see what they have in Marrero, who was the team’s first-round pick back in 2006. The 23-year-old has a .285/.353/.457 batting line over parts of six seasons in the minor leagues. He was batting .300/.375/.449 with 14 homers, 69 RBI and an .825 OPS over 546 plate appearances with Triple-A Syracuse this season.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 133
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 132
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (134)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)