Aug 27, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
The Nationals announced earlier this afternoon that they have recalled prospect Chris Marrero from Triple-A Syracuse. According to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, Marrero will start at first base and bat seventh today against the Reds while Michael Morse plays left field.
By the way, this lineup also features Jayson Werth in center field for the first time this season.
Morse has exclusively played first base since mid-May, but Nationals manager Davey Johnson told Kilgore earlier this month that he planned to move him back out to left field in order to prepare him for next season. Adam LaRoche, who underwent season-ending surgery on his left shoulder in June, is under contract for $8 million next season and is expected to be ready for spring training.
The decision also gives the Nationals an opportunity to see what they have in Marrero, who was the team’s first-round pick back in 2006. The 23-year-old has a .285/.353/.457 batting line over parts of six seasons in the minor leagues. He was batting .300/.375/.449 with 14 homers, 69 RBI and an .825 OPS over 546 plate appearances with Triple-A Syracuse this season.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 0
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 86
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 71
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 70
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 73
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)