Aug 27, 2011, 2:05 PM EST
Troy Renck of the Denver Post was told by Rockies manager Jim Tracy that Rafael Betancourt will remain in the the closer role for the time being.
“I’m not going to pull the plug on Betancourt right now,” Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. “I can’t do that . . . can’t do it. It’s a decision that’s being made in the best interests of the players and the club, period.”
Street has converted 29 out of 32 save chances this season while posting a 4.06 ERA and 49/8 K/BB ratio over 51 innings, but was scored upon in three out of his last four appearances before landing on the disabled list with a right triceps strain earlier this month. Meanwhile, Betancourt hasn’t allowed a run over his last 20 appearances dating back to July 6. The veteran right-hander has a ridiculous 30/1 K/BB ratio over 17 2/3 innings during the same timespan. The Rockies will likely just ease Street back into the role, but it’s tough to say Betancourt doesn’t deserve the opportunity.
Street, who turned 28 earlier this month, will make $7.5 million next season in the final guaranteed year of a three-year, $22.5 million contract. His contract inclues a $9 million player option for 2013, which the Rockies can buy out for $500,000.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (151)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)