Aug 27, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT
Troy Renck of the Denver Post was told by Rockies manager Jim Tracy that Rafael Betancourt will remain in the the closer role for the time being.
“I’m not going to pull the plug on Betancourt right now,” Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. “I can’t do that . . . can’t do it. It’s a decision that’s being made in the best interests of the players and the club, period.”
Street has converted 29 out of 32 save chances this season while posting a 4.06 ERA and 49/8 K/BB ratio over 51 innings, but was scored upon in three out of his last four appearances before landing on the disabled list with a right triceps strain earlier this month. Meanwhile, Betancourt hasn’t allowed a run over his last 20 appearances dating back to July 6. The veteran right-hander has a ridiculous 30/1 K/BB ratio over 17 2/3 innings during the same timespan. The Rockies will likely just ease Street back into the role, but it’s tough to say Betancourt doesn’t deserve the opportunity.
Street, who turned 28 earlier this month, will make $7.5 million next season in the final guaranteed year of a three-year, $22.5 million contract. His contract inclues a $9 million player option for 2013, which the Rockies can buy out for $500,000.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 109
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 153
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)