Aug 27, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT
Troy Renck of the Denver Post was told by Rockies manager Jim Tracy that Rafael Betancourt will remain in the the closer role for the time being.
“I’m not going to pull the plug on Betancourt right now,” Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. “I can’t do that . . . can’t do it. It’s a decision that’s being made in the best interests of the players and the club, period.”
Street has converted 29 out of 32 save chances this season while posting a 4.06 ERA and 49/8 K/BB ratio over 51 innings, but was scored upon in three out of his last four appearances before landing on the disabled list with a right triceps strain earlier this month. Meanwhile, Betancourt hasn’t allowed a run over his last 20 appearances dating back to July 6. The veteran right-hander has a ridiculous 30/1 K/BB ratio over 17 2/3 innings during the same timespan. The Rockies will likely just ease Street back into the role, but it’s tough to say Betancourt doesn’t deserve the opportunity.
Street, who turned 28 earlier this month, will make $7.5 million next season in the final guaranteed year of a three-year, $22.5 million contract. His contract inclues a $9 million player option for 2013, which the Rockies can buy out for $500,000.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)