Aug 27, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT
You guys aren’t going to believe this, but A.J. Burnett was pretty awful again last night.
Burnett was knocked around for a season-high nine runs over five innings in a 12-5 loss to the Orioles. This included a six-run second inning, where the struggling right-hander surrendered four doubles and two home runs.
The loss pushed Burnett’s ERA to 5.31 for the season and 11.91 during the month of August. He has allowed 30 runs over 22 2/3 innings this month. Just for comparison’s sake, MLB ERA leader Johnny Cueto has allowed 30 earned runs for the entire season.
Your Friday box scores:
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 83
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)