Today’s Marlins-Phillies game rained out

Aug 27, 2011, 1:33 PM EDT

Florida Marlins v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

Who saw this one coming?

According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, today’s game between the Marlins and Phillies was rained out.

The Phillies moved this game from Sunday in an effort to get out in front of Hurricane Irene, but rain was already pouring down on the sparsely attended crowd at Citizens Bank Park. And yes, even attempting to get this game in was probably a tremendous waste of time for all involved.

No makeup date was announced, though David Hale of the Wilmington News Journal writes that a doubleheader on September 15 is possible. The Phillies could potentially play 33 games over the final 31 days of the season.

UPDATE: David Hale of the Wilmington News Journal reports that the Phillies and Marlins will indeed play a split-doubleheader on September 15.

1. halladaysbiceps - Aug 27, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I don’t mind is today’s game was cancelled, but this call should have made at the latest earlier this morning. If I were one of the fans that went down there, shelled out $20 for parking, sat down in my seat and told over the PA 10 mins later that the game was cancelled, I would be fuming. I know they are trying to avoid more doubleheaders, but that’s no excuse. The Braves-Mets (2) remaining games today and tomorrow were already cancelled and the Braves will be in the same boat as the Phillies.

The Phillies ought to reimburse those people for the parking costs. But, we know that will never happen.

• 12strikes - Aug 27, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Actually the phillies announced that IF the people kept their parking tickets, they would be good when the game is made up.

Question is did the phillies make that announcement to the crowd in CBP or did they just tell the TV stations after the game was canceled.

2. Stephen Jay - Aug 27, 2011 at 2:17 PM

They should have played 2 on Friday. The weather report for Sat/Sun looked bad all week, and both the Marlins and Phils had days off Thursday. If they had done that, they would only have to make up 1 game, instead of 2.

• FC - Aug 27, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Heck instead of twiddling their thumbs they could have both played Thursday, played the Double Header Friday, and all games would have been accounted for. It’s not like this was a surprise. Irene has been moving up for a week now, Marlins could have accelerated their travel plans. What a waste.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 28, 2011 at 1:05 AM

The Marlins did not have a scheduled off day on Thursday. They moved that game to Wednesday—get this—in anticipation of Irene. So they played a home doubleheader against the Reds on Wednesday.

At the time, Thursday was also the Phils’ last day off until September 15, which is now stacked with a doubleheader. I have no problem with them not scheduling anything for Thursday.

3. halladaysbiceps - Aug 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I’m scared with the impending hurricane coming. :(

The rain has picked up and the winds as well. I’ve barricaded myself in the basement with my girlfriend, 2 cases of beer and a radio. I hope I survive to comment another day here at HBT.

• firedude7160 - Aug 27, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I’m glad to see that you brought all the required safety supplies. I only have one question: What’s your girlfriend supposed to drink?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Warm water.

• firedude7160 - Aug 27, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Haha good choice. Stay safe ‘ceps’

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 27, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I will also say that I provided my girlfriend a can of Campbell’s soup and a piece of bread, but I can’t find the can opener. If she gets hungry enough, maybe she can bite her way through the can. I worry about the long term effects, however.

• firedude7160 - Aug 27, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Hahaha there has to be some kind of blunt instriment in your basement somewhere. All you need is something solid and sharp, and then something heavy to hit it with. Gotta think like MacGyver in times like these

side note- Someone really doesn’t like you. The seem to have gone through and given every comment you made a thumbs down

• FC - Aug 27, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Gotta think like MacGyver in times like these

Or MacGruber.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 28, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Maybe his girlfriend is the one voting down his comments. :P

4. firedude7160 - Aug 27, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I can understand all the fans that are pissed because they went to the stadium, paid for parking and then the game was called. Yeah, they should have called it at 11am when it started raining. I completely agree, and would go as far as saying that they should have realized the were not going to get them in and played a double header on Friday. That would have been the smart thing to do. But I have to defend the Phillies for a moment.

They had one off day for the rest of the season- September 15th. They were forced to fill that day with Satuday night’s game. I can fully understand their reluctance to cancel the game, forcing them to play a double header on the 15th. Especially when you figure in the fact that they will be coming off of a seven game road trip (Milwaukee then Houston) when they play their make-up double header. They then have a 4 game series against the Cardinals followed by a double header with the Nationals (rain make-up).

So, while I think they should not have forced fans to decide whether or not they should brave the conditions and go to the stadium, I can see why they waited so long to call the game.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM

The Dude,

I hear what you are saying. But, these guys are well rested (especially the pitchers) after the last several rain delays/cancellations. On top of that, the Phils have roster expansion as of Sept. 1st with the callups. So, they can handle it with the extra help. No one is going to be over-extended with the month of September.

I just think that they jerked the fans around today that made the trip down to the ballpark. Unnecessary. Whoever is their weather forcaster is, they should be demoted to AA.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 28, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Whether or not they’ve been well rested after rainouts, I’m thinking that they were trying to avoid scheduling a doubleheader on what was their last off day of the season.* Now, they are playing 33 games in their next 31 days with no off days—not the optimal set up.

*Note to schedulers—maybe don’t stack the schedule with stretches like that in the future, mmkay? Maybe include some sort of flexibility in there for just this situation. Even if it isn’t needed for this, a bit of rest might make for better playoffs.

5. Utley's Hair - Aug 28, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Stay safe guys—Irene is a massive b!tch with a nasty chip on her shoulder. For Phightins Phans, we need to stick around for their late season run. For other fans, it wouldn’t be as much fun if you aren’t here to trash talk.

Yet another WS run for the Giants