Aug 27, 2011, 1:33 PM EDT
Who saw this one coming?
According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, today’s game between the Marlins and Phillies was rained out.
The Phillies moved this game from Sunday in an effort to get out in front of Hurricane Irene, but rain was already pouring down on the sparsely attended crowd at Citizens Bank Park. And yes, even attempting to get this game in was probably a tremendous waste of time for all involved.
No makeup date was announced, though David Hale of the Wilmington News Journal writes that a doubleheader on September 15 is possible. The Phillies could potentially play 33 games over the final 31 days of the season.
UPDATE: David Hale of the Wilmington News Journal reports that the Phillies and Marlins will indeed play a split-doubleheader on September 15.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (75)