Vin Scully to return for 63rd season in Dodgers booth

Aug 27, 2011, 12:31 AM EDT

Vin Scully AP

Legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully announced during Friday’s game that he would return for his record 63rd season in 2012.

Scully, who in recent years has skipped road trips taking him east of the Rockies, indicated that he’ll maintain his usual schedule of home games and select road games.

Scully turns 85 in November.

As if the publicity swirling around Dodgers owner Frank McCourt couldn’t get bad enough, there were recent rumors that the team might let Scully go in order to save money.  Such a manuever, though, surely would have done more harm than good, financially and in every other way imaginable.

1. mvpolamalu - Aug 27, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Yay

2. jeffbbf - Aug 27, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Hershiser was with the local station here here in Chicago. Said he was embarrassed by Dodger ownership, had distanced himself from the team, and is connected to them only by legacy. Furthermore, he wished the current ownership would just sell the team so they could start working their way back to respectability. He sounded sad.

3. abevanderbent - Aug 27, 2011 at 12:49 AM

This is the best news of the baseball season.

• karlm144 - Aug 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Amen to that.

4. micker716 - Aug 27, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Shrewd move by McCourt. Give this Scully character a 1 year non-guaranteed extension and see if he’s worth keeping around. Frank’s showing that same business savvy that got him to where he is today.

5. seeingwhatsticks - Aug 27, 2011 at 12:59 AM

For anyone that hasn’t read it Joe Posnanski wrote a great piece on Scully last fall.

6. Ratpee1 - Aug 27, 2011 at 1:52 AM

The return of the Brooklyn Dodgers?!!

• Jeff M. - Aug 27, 2011 at 4:29 AM

You gotta let that go, man. It’s been 50 years!

7. goldensombrero3000 - Aug 27, 2011 at 1:58 AM

I only know Vin Scully through parodies a la Hank Azaria and so forth. I wish he was more apart of my life.

• Brian Murphy - Aug 27, 2011 at 2:36 AM

You gotta get that MLB.tv or DirecTV Extra Innings package, man. Just to listen to Scully, it’s worth it.

I’ve live in L.A. for about 20 years, so we’re just spoiled by the fact that we get to listen to him about 110 times a year. The best.

• kmgannon - Aug 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I have the Extra Innings package so that I can watch my beloved Tribe early, and listen to Vin late. Those two things alone make it worth the price.

8. nothimagain - Aug 27, 2011 at 4:48 AM

Vin Sculpture is the master – and I hate the Redsox. Oh yeah, I hate the Rodgers too. There should be some sort of sweepstakes where the winner gets Vin Scully to follow ‘em around and narrate that person’s life for a day.

9. DonRSD - Aug 27, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Game 6 was the best call he ever made.

10. yahmule - Aug 27, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I had a good feeling about Vin returning for another year. I knew he couldn’t bear to cause Dodger fans any more heartache than they’ve had to endure recently.

So immensely talented in his craft, yet so genuinely humble. Enjoy every moment, baseball fans. We’re not going to see anyone like him again.

11. cosanostra71 - Aug 27, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Vin Scully is a living legend.

12. sportsdrenched.com - Aug 27, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I’ve only listened to Vin a few times. 63 years is amazing. Think about that. Somwhere in LA there are 4 generations of Dodgers fans who have watched the Dodgers with Vin in some capacity.

As Royals fans we have Denny Mathews who has been with the team since it started in 1969. I can appreciate the stability of a long tenured broadcaster. There’s not many of them left.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2956)