Aug 27, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
According to our friends at CSNChicago.com, the White Sox just made it official, placing Carlos Quentin on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained AC joint in his left shoulder and recalling top prospect Dayan Viciedo from Triple-A Charlotte.
Quentin hasn’t played since August 20, so he’ll be eligible to return as soon as September 5. Still, this officially rules him out for a critical series against the first-place Tigers next weekend.
Fans have been clamoring for Viciedo’s promotion for weeks now. The Cuban defector was batting .296/.364/.491 with 20 home runs, 78 RBI and an .856 OPS over 505 plate appearances with Triple-A Charlotte this season. Perhaps most encouraging is that he has increased his walk rate to 8.9 percent this season, a significant improvement from what we have seen in the past. Viciedo isn’t in the starting lineup tonight, but is expected to see playing time in the outfield and at first base.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)