Aug 27, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
According to our friends at CSNChicago.com, the White Sox just made it official, placing Carlos Quentin on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained AC joint in his left shoulder and recalling top prospect Dayan Viciedo from Triple-A Charlotte.
Quentin hasn’t played since August 20, so he’ll be eligible to return as soon as September 5. Still, this officially rules him out for a critical series against the first-place Tigers next weekend.
Fans have been clamoring for Viciedo’s promotion for weeks now. The Cuban defector was batting .296/.364/.491 with 20 home runs, 78 RBI and an .856 OPS over 505 plate appearances with Triple-A Charlotte this season. Perhaps most encouraging is that he has increased his walk rate to 8.9 percent this season, a significant improvement from what we have seen in the past. Viciedo isn’t in the starting lineup tonight, but is expected to see playing time in the outfield and at first base.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)