Aug 27, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
According to our friends at CSNChicago.com, the White Sox just made it official, placing Carlos Quentin on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained AC joint in his left shoulder and recalling top prospect Dayan Viciedo from Triple-A Charlotte.
Quentin hasn’t played since August 20, so he’ll be eligible to return as soon as September 5. Still, this officially rules him out for a critical series against the first-place Tigers next weekend.
Fans have been clamoring for Viciedo’s promotion for weeks now. The Cuban defector was batting .296/.364/.491 with 20 home runs, 78 RBI and an .856 OPS over 505 plate appearances with Triple-A Charlotte this season. Perhaps most encouraging is that he has increased his walk rate to 8.9 percent this season, a significant improvement from what we have seen in the past. Viciedo isn’t in the starting lineup tonight, but is expected to see playing time in the outfield and at first base.
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in American League Wild Card Game 0
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)