Showalter fires back at Yankees’ scheduling complaints

Aug 28, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT

showalter ap AP

As D.J. Short noted yesterday, the Yankees were quite upset about the way the Orioles handled the rescheduling of games this weekend in the days before and after the arrival of Hurricane Irene.

Instead of trying to fit in a split-doubleheader on Friday, when Baltimore was dry and Irene was still a few hundred miles from the Atlantic coast, the O’s scheduled a two-game set for Saturday that eventually had to be completely called off.

They’ll make up one of those games as part of a doubleheader this evening, and are hoping to make up the other contest on September 8.

But September 8 is one of the Yankees’ few remaining off days before the end of the regular season, so manager Joe Girardi told the media that he’s planning to “fight” the MLB-approved rescheduling.

Representing an organization that was suddenly thrown into disarray after news of Mike Flanagan’s suicide, Orioles skipper Buck Showalter isn’t happy about the Yanks’ complaints. Via the Baltimore Sun:

“First of all, I felt that some of the stuff was a little disrespectful to Flanny quite frankly. That didn’t sit with me very well. I can tell you that,” said Showalter. “We didn’t say much – I think we had an April rainout there – and they just told us when we were playing. We were OK with that. Like I told you the other day, you tell us when we’re playing, we’ll play …

We understand that sometimes our opinions on things are not relevant. They come to me when there is two options and talk about it from a baseball standpoint. Every club does that. But some of it kind of has a feeling of [hypocrisy]. I don’t know. I don’t dwell on it. Their opinion on what the Baltimore Orioles should do for their fans and for their organization isn’t really that relevant to me personally. I can tell you that. We’ll do what’s best for our fans and for our organization and we expect it back that they’re going to do the same on their side.

We hope one day that we can be as competitive as they are. I respect where they are in the season and what their people are saying about the competitive part of it, but it means something to us, too. We’ll continue to do what’s best for the Baltimore Orioles and the fans, which are the same thing.”

Showalter probably has a point, and few people in this country are going to have sympathy for the Yankees missing an off day, but playing the whole “we’re being bullied” card is never going to help the Orioles climb out of the American League East cellar — both from a public perception and on-field results standpoint.

1. Tim's Neighbor - Aug 28, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Until the O’s get new ownership that doesn’t undermine the efforts of their front office, they will never be successful.

• paperlions - Aug 28, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Which has what to do with the fact that the Yankees should STFU and play baseball when it is scheduled, just like every other team does?

• evanpenn - Aug 28, 2011 at 3:20 PM

The Yankees are children. If the Yankees do not get every call and are not given the most favorable possible schedule, every player and employee of the organization have simultaneous aneurysms.

2. southofheaven81 - Aug 28, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Maybe the Orioles can make themselves feel better by throwing at the Yankees (and Red Sox) a couple dozen more times this season.

• randomdigits - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:22 PM

The O’s have had 33 hit batsman, the Sox 67 and the Yankees 37.

Might want to check you know, the facts, next time.

• southofheaven81 - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I didn’t say hit batsmen overall this year, I was talking about how many times the O’s have hit Yankees and Sox batters.

3. stevem7 - Aug 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Buck is right. Joe Girardi should have been sensitive, contacted Buck and said “Gee heard your only Hero blew his head off with a shotgun. Must have been real messy huh?” It was Flannigan’s choice to blow his head off and pardon the rest of the world for not caring. He didn’t care enough about his family, his team, or himself but instead took the COWARD’S way out.

• roverboy1949 - Aug 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I don’t think that suicide is the answer to any problem, either, and it may be a cowards way out. In reality, though, how troubled was he when he thought that this was his only choice? How much pain was he in to think this was the cure for all his troubles? I have asked myself these questions hundreds of times over the last 2 years, since my brother thought that this was his answer, also. No one asked you to care about this, but maybe somewhere inside you can find a way to understand what people who do care can do to help themselves deal with this tragedy. I know first hand that is the ones that are left behind that continue to suffer. Maybe a littlespace is what these players and friends need. I think even the Yankees understand that part.

• pisano - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:12 PM

roverboy1949…. First off I want to offer my condolences to you and your family. It’s never easy to deal with a tragedy like your family suffered. A friend of mine had a same thing happen with his brother a few years ago and it still stumps him as to why his brother didn’t come to him or someone else in the family for help. As to anyone that’s insensitive to something like this I can only hope nothing like this happens to someone in their family, because if it does it can be a very rude awakening.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 28, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Steve, where are you? You put a dumb comment out there and are not debating it. Why not? It seems to me you are the coward.

• JBerardi - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:51 PM

“It was Flannigan’s choice to blow his head off and pardon the rest of the world for not caring. He didn’t care enough about his family, his team, or himself but instead took the COWARD’S way out.”

You know what the coward’s way out is? Trolling.

• sparky1002 - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I hope for the sake of “Flannies” family that his life insurance didn`t have a suicide clause.

• rwjk - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:55 PM

suicide for a good man like flanny is not the way to go out, but it is for a clown like you. now go find a gun or a bridge

• trbowman - Aug 29, 2011 at 3:11 AM

You, sir, are an ignoramus.

4. phillynac - Aug 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Steve, can you be any more of an a**?

• stevem7 - Aug 28, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Awww should I go all weepy because I offended your sensibilities? I don’t condone SUICIDE and I don’t care who doesn’t like it.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM

What’s wrong with you? Why are you bringing suicide into this discussion. 99.9% of people don’t condone suicide. Where is this relevant in the discussion?

• jrd8523 - Aug 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM

It’s less being offended and more being curious about what causes someone to slip on panties and talk shit about a dead man, his impact on his family, etc., through the anonymity of the internet.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Exactly, jrd8523. stevem7 is a joke. Never saw him post on this site before. But, I never saw you post as well. I argue with people in regards to baseball games, philosphy of baseball and such. There’s a lot of people that don’t like me on this site, and I’m fine with that. But, I don’t talk in the matter of Steve about calling out a man that commited suicide and calls him a coward. Unbelievable.

• phillysoulfan - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I didn’t approve of abortion until I read your posts, Steve

• evanpenn - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Steve, I condone suicide in your case, feel free..

• stevem7 - Aug 29, 2011 at 8:25 AM

I do apologize for my offensive comments. You see, my Daddy didn’t love me, I was bullied in high school, and now, as an adult, I have no friends. I’m just so desperate for attention – any kind of attention – that sometimes I feel the need to go on the Internet and act like a troll and make obnoxious and outrageous comments just to get a rise out of people. And I know I can do so anonymously which works well for my cowardly personality. But I am sorry. I am a complete loser.

5. rayray52 - Aug 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Stfu buck. Ur just pissed ur about 50 games outta first

• grumblygus - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Ray you are just pissed because you don’t know how to spell properly.

6. phillynac - Aug 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM

It isn’t about the person who died, it is about the people who are mourning the death. I know how much of a bulletin board tough guy you are though.

7. phillyphever - Aug 28, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Buck, do us all a favor and just shut up.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 28, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Did you see Joe Girardi complaining about the rainouts and being pissed that MLB didn’t schedule a doubleheader on Friday? Do us all a favor and shut up, simpleton.

• ditto65 - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Girardi was right. There was no way in Hell those games were going to be played on Saturday. And it has nothing to do with the O’s lack of competitiveness or the loss of an important member of their organization. It has to do with picking up the phone and asking when the HURRICANE is going to arrive.

8. daisycutter1 - Aug 28, 2011 at 3:24 PM

The O’s played Thursday night and one game on Friday. Are we really supposed to believe that’s fine, but playing a second game on Friday would be insensitive?

What’s insensitive here is using Flanagan’s suicide as an excuse to get two nighttime gates. Actually, that’s downright offensive.

9. halladaysbiceps - Aug 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I am of the belief that all managers and players should shut up and play the game of baseball. Why Buck came out and said this, I don’t know. Jealousy, perhaps. Maybe he felt the need to respond to Joe Girardi’s bitching about losing the weekend series to a hurricane and not having a doubleheader on Friday.

I know one thing for sure. I didn’t hear Charlie Manuel or Fredi Gonzalez once complain about the schedule. Not once.

10. aceshigh11 - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Meanwhile, the Sox managed to complete and win both of their games against the A’s yesterday (even with multiple rain delays), increased their lead over NY by a full game, and now have an extra two days off to rest up for their series with the Yankees starting Tuesday.

Why so much drama? :)

11. phillysoulfan - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Funny, all this time I thought it was about what was best for Orioles fans, who had tickets to the affected games.

• ditto65 - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Fact of the matter is they will play a game even if nobody shows up. re:Dodgers

• chadjones27 - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Marlins have been playing for years w/o any fans showing up. In fact, they moved a game up a day to get out of the way of the hurricane and some 350 fans were there.

• randomdigits - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:50 PM

The Marlins also get more in revenue sharing then they spend on payroll. They literally turn a profit even if no one shows up.

• Old Gator - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:56 PM

The Feesh front orifice has been working hard for years to insult and alienate their fans. Those empty seats represent one of the great success stories in baseball.

12. roverboy1949 - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:35 PM

thanks for all the positive responses. It’s still only a game, but it is a game we all love.

13. sahyder1 - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Didn’t the Orioles offer double headers Sunday and Monday and the Yankees shot that down?

Yankees are looking pretty pathetic here when millions of people in their market are flooded and without power right now. Stop the whining and play the game on the 8th.

14. theskinsman - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Someone tell Girardi to stop whining and play. For what those clowns get paid, I find it hard to feel bad for them.

15. silverdeer - Aug 29, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I can’t believe these overpaid crybabies are whining about having to play on their “off date”. They get a second “all-star” break due to the weather and then they are going to whine about missing an off day. If they are that concerned about a day off they could always tank the rest of the season and then they will have a month extra to make up for it. Better yet, I would like to see Girardi go up to one of our people in the armed forces and complain that he has to miss a day off.

16. nynewsblob - Aug 29, 2011 at 10:58 AM

By “Oriole’s fans” is Buck referring to all those people who wear the Yankee hats and jersey’s to Camden Yards for Yanks/O’s games?

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3128)