Aug 28, 2011, 3:04 AM EDT
Seven weeks after Shannon Stone was killed while tumbling over a railing at Rangers Ballpark, tragedy nearly struck again.
The Associated Press reports that a 24-year-old man was knocked unconscious after falling 21 feet in a stairwell while leaving the stadium. Police are investigating the incident as an accident.
“It doesn’t appear that there’s any foul play that’s involved,” police lieutenant Bobby Mason said after talking to people who were in the man’s group and other witnesses. “There wasn’t any fighting or anything like that going on.”
Mason said his understanding was that the man’s condition was improving after being transported to a hospital. There was some blood in the area where the man fell.
“At this point in time, hopefully it’s going to be better than what we thought when he left,” Mason said.
The indicent happened near the home-plate gate and was out of sight from the field. It was before the end of the game, so the flights of stairs taking fans from the upper deck to ground level were not crowded.
“What we can say for sure is, for whatever reason, he falls from the railing area up there between the third and second landing, and he fell 21 feet,” Mason said.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)