Aug 28, 2011, 3:04 AM EDT
Seven weeks after Shannon Stone was killed while tumbling over a railing at Rangers Ballpark, tragedy nearly struck again.
The Associated Press reports that a 24-year-old man was knocked unconscious after falling 21 feet in a stairwell while leaving the stadium. Police are investigating the incident as an accident.
“It doesn’t appear that there’s any foul play that’s involved,” police lieutenant Bobby Mason said after talking to people who were in the man’s group and other witnesses. “There wasn’t any fighting or anything like that going on.”
Mason said his understanding was that the man’s condition was improving after being transported to a hospital. There was some blood in the area where the man fell.
“At this point in time, hopefully it’s going to be better than what we thought when he left,” Mason said.
The indicent happened near the home-plate gate and was out of sight from the field. It was before the end of the game, so the flights of stairs taking fans from the upper deck to ground level were not crowded.
“What we can say for sure is, for whatever reason, he falls from the railing area up there between the third and second landing, and he fell 21 feet,” Mason said.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 56
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)