Aug 28, 2011, 3:04 AM EDT
Seven weeks after Shannon Stone was killed while tumbling over a railing at Rangers Ballpark, tragedy nearly struck again.
The Associated Press reports that a 24-year-old man was knocked unconscious after falling 21 feet in a stairwell while leaving the stadium. Police are investigating the incident as an accident.
“It doesn’t appear that there’s any foul play that’s involved,” police lieutenant Bobby Mason said after talking to people who were in the man’s group and other witnesses. “There wasn’t any fighting or anything like that going on.”
Mason said his understanding was that the man’s condition was improving after being transported to a hospital. There was some blood in the area where the man fell.
“At this point in time, hopefully it’s going to be better than what we thought when he left,” Mason said.
The indicent happened near the home-plate gate and was out of sight from the field. It was before the end of the game, so the flights of stairs taking fans from the upper deck to ground level were not crowded.
“What we can say for sure is, for whatever reason, he falls from the railing area up there between the third and second landing, and he fell 21 feet,” Mason said.
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)