Aug 28, 2011, 10:45 AM EST
Michael Brantley landed on the 15-day disabled list last week with inflammation in his right wrist. It seemed like a fairly minor situation at the time, but only because we didn’t have all the information.
According to the Indians’ official Twitter feed, Brantley was transferred to the 60-day disabled list on Sunday morning following further tests on his ailing right arm, like a CT scan and bone scan. The Indians’ medical staff still doesn’t have an exact diagnosis, but they’ve ended the young outfielder’s 2011 season because of the risk of re-injury.
Brantley, 24, turned in a .266/.318/.384 batting line, seven home runs, 46 RBI and 13 stolen bases in 114 games this year. He should be fine by the beginning of spring training next February and is likely to open the 2012 season as Cleveland’s primary left fielder.
The Indians called up Jerad Head to provide outfield depth down the stretch. A 28-year-old from Kansas, he was hitting .284/.338/.526 with 24 homers and 70 RBI in 463 plate appearances at Triple-A Columbus.
UPDATE, 11:40am: The Indians have announced that Brantley will undergo surgery early next week to remove the hamate bone from his right hand. He is fully expected to be ready for spring training next season.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 13
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 70
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)