Aug 28, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
Michael Brantley landed on the 15-day disabled list last week with inflammation in his right wrist. It seemed like a fairly minor situation at the time, but only because we didn’t have all the information.
According to the Indians’ official Twitter feed, Brantley was transferred to the 60-day disabled list on Sunday morning following further tests on his ailing right arm, like a CT scan and bone scan. The Indians’ medical staff still doesn’t have an exact diagnosis, but they’ve ended the young outfielder’s 2011 season because of the risk of re-injury.
Brantley, 24, turned in a .266/.318/.384 batting line, seven home runs, 46 RBI and 13 stolen bases in 114 games this year. He should be fine by the beginning of spring training next February and is likely to open the 2012 season as Cleveland’s primary left fielder.
The Indians called up Jerad Head to provide outfield depth down the stretch. A 28-year-old from Kansas, he was hitting .284/.338/.526 with 24 homers and 70 RBI in 463 plate appearances at Triple-A Columbus.
UPDATE, 11:40am: The Indians have announced that Brantley will undergo surgery early next week to remove the hamate bone from his right hand. He is fully expected to be ready for spring training next season.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)