Aug 28, 2011, 8:21 AM EDT
It’s August 28. On this date in baseball history, Dodgers president Branch Rickey met with Jackie Robinson for the first time to discuss his plans to integrate the major leagues (1945), Ryne Sandberg became the first second baseman to hit 30 home runs in consecutive seasons as the Cubs topped the Astros (1990), and a 20-year-old Jose Reyes became the youngest player in major league history to homer from each side of the plate in a single game as the Mets defeated the Braves (2003).
Your Saturday box scores:
Athletics 3, Red Sox 9 (Game 1)
Rockies 6, Dodgers 7 (11 innings)
Athletics 0, Red Sox 4 (Game 2)
The Marlins, Phillies, Yankees, Orioles, Braves and Mets were rained out by Hurricane Irene.
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 4
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 38
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76