Aug 28, 2011, 8:21 AM EST
It’s August 28. On this date in baseball history, Dodgers president Branch Rickey met with Jackie Robinson for the first time to discuss his plans to integrate the major leagues (1945), Ryne Sandberg became the first second baseman to hit 30 home runs in consecutive seasons as the Cubs topped the Astros (1990), and a 20-year-old Jose Reyes became the youngest player in major league history to homer from each side of the plate in a single game as the Mets defeated the Braves (2003).
Your Saturday box scores:
Athletics 3, Red Sox 9 (Game 1)
Rockies 6, Dodgers 7 (11 innings)
Athletics 0, Red Sox 4 (Game 2)
The Marlins, Phillies, Yankees, Orioles, Braves and Mets were rained out by Hurricane Irene.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)