Aug 28, 2011, 8:21 AM EDT
It’s August 28. On this date in baseball history, Dodgers president Branch Rickey met with Jackie Robinson for the first time to discuss his plans to integrate the major leagues (1945), Ryne Sandberg became the first second baseman to hit 30 home runs in consecutive seasons as the Cubs topped the Astros (1990), and a 20-year-old Jose Reyes became the youngest player in major league history to homer from each side of the plate in a single game as the Mets defeated the Braves (2003).
Your Saturday box scores:
Athletics 3, Red Sox 9 (Game 1)
Rockies 6, Dodgers 7 (11 innings)
Athletics 0, Red Sox 4 (Game 2)
The Marlins, Phillies, Yankees, Orioles, Braves and Mets were rained out by Hurricane Irene.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (76)