Aug 28, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
Indians outfielder Shin-Soo Choo missed a bit of time last week due to general discomfort on the left side of his body. That discomfort has now reemerged.
According to Zack Meisel of MLB.com, Choo was pulled in the fifth inning of Saturday’s 8-7 victory over the Royals and is likely to sit out a few consecutive games this week. The Korean outfielder is able to take full cuts with the bat, but he feels immense pain when forced to stop his swing short and when making twisting movements on defense.
Indians manager Manny Acta explained the situation late Saturday evening in a chat with reporters:
“It was a battle to get him out of the game,” Acta said. “He’s a fighter. He wanted to keep playing, but that’s not smart to keep him out there and maybe make it worse. He’s going to be shut down for a few days. He’s not going to be able to swing the bat for a few days.”
Choo has registered an underwhelming .260/.345/.395 slash line in 84 games this season, but he’s 16-for-46 (.348) with a double, a triple and three home runs since returning from a fractured thumb on August 12.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)