Aug 28, 2011, 12:50 PM EST
Indians outfielder Shin-Soo Choo missed a bit of time last week due to general discomfort on the left side of his body. That discomfort has now reemerged.
According to Zack Meisel of MLB.com, Choo was pulled in the fifth inning of Saturday’s 8-7 victory over the Royals and is likely to sit out a few consecutive games this week. The Korean outfielder is able to take full cuts with the bat, but he feels immense pain when forced to stop his swing short and when making twisting movements on defense.
Indians manager Manny Acta explained the situation late Saturday evening in a chat with reporters:
“It was a battle to get him out of the game,” Acta said. “He’s a fighter. He wanted to keep playing, but that’s not smart to keep him out there and maybe make it worse. He’s going to be shut down for a few days. He’s not going to be able to swing the bat for a few days.”
Choo has registered an underwhelming .260/.345/.395 slash line in 84 games this season, but he’s 16-for-46 (.348) with a double, a triple and three home runs since returning from a fractured thumb on August 12.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (243)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)