Aug 28, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
Indians outfielder Shin-Soo Choo missed a bit of time last week due to general discomfort on the left side of his body. That discomfort has now reemerged.
According to Zack Meisel of MLB.com, Choo was pulled in the fifth inning of Saturday’s 8-7 victory over the Royals and is likely to sit out a few consecutive games this week. The Korean outfielder is able to take full cuts with the bat, but he feels immense pain when forced to stop his swing short and when making twisting movements on defense.
Indians manager Manny Acta explained the situation late Saturday evening in a chat with reporters:
“It was a battle to get him out of the game,” Acta said. “He’s a fighter. He wanted to keep playing, but that’s not smart to keep him out there and maybe make it worse. He’s going to be shut down for a few days. He’s not going to be able to swing the bat for a few days.”
Choo has registered an underwhelming .260/.345/.395 slash line in 84 games this season, but he’s 16-for-46 (.348) with a double, a triple and three home runs since returning from a fractured thumb on August 12.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)