Aug 28, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
Indians outfielder Shin-Soo Choo missed a bit of time last week due to general discomfort on the left side of his body. That discomfort has now reemerged.
According to Zack Meisel of MLB.com, Choo was pulled in the fifth inning of Saturday’s 8-7 victory over the Royals and is likely to sit out a few consecutive games this week. The Korean outfielder is able to take full cuts with the bat, but he feels immense pain when forced to stop his swing short and when making twisting movements on defense.
Indians manager Manny Acta explained the situation late Saturday evening in a chat with reporters:
“It was a battle to get him out of the game,” Acta said. “He’s a fighter. He wanted to keep playing, but that’s not smart to keep him out there and maybe make it worse. He’s going to be shut down for a few days. He’s not going to be able to swing the bat for a few days.”
Choo has registered an underwhelming .260/.345/.395 slash line in 84 games this season, but he’s 16-for-46 (.348) with a double, a triple and three home runs since returning from a fractured thumb on August 12.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 61
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)