Aug 29, 2011, 5:35 AM EDT
Rangers 9, Angels 5: Josh Hamilton and Elvis Andrus combined to go 6 for 9 with five driven in. Jered Weaver hung tough for a while on short rest, but really didn’t have it. Not sure about that whole short rest thing on a 100+ degree day, but I guess decisions like that are why they pay Mike Scioscia the big bucks. The Rangers take two of three to retain a three-game lead over the Angles. They meet again in the final series of the season.
Orioles 2, Yankees 0, Yankees 8, Orioles 3: I don’t believe the Yankees actually contested this double header given that the Orioles organization is still dealing with Mike Flanagan’s death.
Reds 5, Nationals 4: Your standard 14-inning, won by a walkoff-by-Joey-Votto affair. Both managers were ejected. So too was Nationals’ bench coach and by then acting manager Pat Corrales. Why yes, it was Joe West’s crew umpiring. Why do you ask? Nineteen strikeouts for Reds pitchers.
Twins 11, Tigers 4: For the past couple of days I’ve noticed people tweeting that the bottom third of the Twins’ lineup was laughable. Luke Hughes was in that bottom third yesterday and drove in five. On Saturday he drove in three.
Royals 2, Indians 1: Bruce Chen just knows how to win. OK, that’s not fair. Usually I use that as a backhanded compliment for mediocre guys who luck into wins. True, Chen is mediocre and has won five straight, but this one was legit. Chen allowed one run on five hits in seven and a third, salvaging one game of the series for the Royals.
White Sox 9, Mariners 3: The sweep. And now the Sox are in second place. It’s a distant second place in a crap division, but hey, second place.
Rockies 7, Dodgers 6: Four RBI for Kevin Kouzmanoff give the Dodgers their first loss in a week.
Athletics vs. Red Sox, Phillies vs. Marlins, Braves vs. Mets: POSTPONED: Irene-pocalypse.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 0
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 20
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)