Aug 29, 2011, 5:35 AM EDT
Rangers 9, Angels 5: Josh Hamilton and Elvis Andrus combined to go 6 for 9 with five driven in. Jered Weaver hung tough for a while on short rest, but really didn’t have it. Not sure about that whole short rest thing on a 100+ degree day, but I guess decisions like that are why they pay Mike Scioscia the big bucks. The Rangers take two of three to retain a three-game lead over the Angles. They meet again in the final series of the season.
Orioles 2, Yankees 0, Yankees 8, Orioles 3: I don’t believe the Yankees actually contested this double header given that the Orioles organization is still dealing with Mike Flanagan’s death.
Reds 5, Nationals 4: Your standard 14-inning, won by a walkoff-by-Joey-Votto affair. Both managers were ejected. So too was Nationals’ bench coach and by then acting manager Pat Corrales. Why yes, it was Joe West’s crew umpiring. Why do you ask? Nineteen strikeouts for Reds pitchers.
Twins 11, Tigers 4: For the past couple of days I’ve noticed people tweeting that the bottom third of the Twins’ lineup was laughable. Luke Hughes was in that bottom third yesterday and drove in five. On Saturday he drove in three.
Royals 2, Indians 1: Bruce Chen just knows how to win. OK, that’s not fair. Usually I use that as a backhanded compliment for mediocre guys who luck into wins. True, Chen is mediocre and has won five straight, but this one was legit. Chen allowed one run on five hits in seven and a third, salvaging one game of the series for the Royals.
White Sox 9, Mariners 3: The sweep. And now the Sox are in second place. It’s a distant second place in a crap division, but hey, second place.
Rockies 7, Dodgers 6: Four RBI for Kevin Kouzmanoff give the Dodgers their first loss in a week.
Athletics vs. Red Sox, Phillies vs. Marlins, Braves vs. Mets: POSTPONED: Irene-pocalypse.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)