Aug 29, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay pulled him back off waivers, meaning Upton is ineligible to be traded this season. He’s under team control for next season via arbitration and it likely makes more sense for the Rays to shop him around again once their options aren’t limited.
Several teams have been linked to Upton, with the Nationals perhaps being connected to him most often dating back to the July 31 trade deadline.
With Desmond Jennings waiting in the wings as a replacement in center field and Upton set to earn at least $6 million in 2012 despite another disappointing season he seemingly doesn’t fit into the Rays’ always budget-conscious plans any longer.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17