Aug 29, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay pulled him back off waivers, meaning Upton is ineligible to be traded this season. He’s under team control for next season via arbitration and it likely makes more sense for the Rays to shop him around again once their options aren’t limited.
Several teams have been linked to Upton, with the Nationals perhaps being connected to him most often dating back to the July 31 trade deadline.
With Desmond Jennings waiting in the wings as a replacement in center field and Upton set to earn at least $6 million in 2012 despite another disappointing season he seemingly doesn’t fit into the Rays’ always budget-conscious plans any longer.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)