Aug 29, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay pulled him back off waivers, meaning Upton is ineligible to be traded this season. He’s under team control for next season via arbitration and it likely makes more sense for the Rays to shop him around again once their options aren’t limited.
Several teams have been linked to Upton, with the Nationals perhaps being connected to him most often dating back to the July 31 trade deadline.
With Desmond Jennings waiting in the wings as a replacement in center field and Upton set to earn at least $6 million in 2012 despite another disappointing season he seemingly doesn’t fit into the Rays’ always budget-conscious plans any longer.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)