Aug 29, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Brennan Boesch is out of the lineup today for a fifth straight game with a partially torn thumb ligament and trainer Kevin Rand admitted that he’ll need surgery eventually, but the Tigers are putting it off in the hopes he can play again this season.
“It’s going to be an issue the rest of the way,” Rand told Tom Gage of the Detroit News. “We just have to find a way, if we can, to get it comfortable enough for him to swing a bat.”
Boesch suffered the initial injury on August 10 and has played seven games since then, hitting .250 with zero homers and a .599 OPS.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 63
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)