Aug 29, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
UPDATE: I screwed up: Jeter passed Mantle in yesterday’s game. He tied Mantle on Friday.
Derek Jeter played in the front end of yesterday’s Yankees-Orioles doubleheader. In doing so he played his 2,402nd game as a Yankee. That put him past Mickey Mantle on the all-time Yankees games-played list.
Only 22 men* have appeared in as many as 2,400 games for a single team. All but five of those guys — Dave Concepcion, Pete Rose Dwight Evans, Craig Biggio and Jeter — are in the Hall of Fame. Rose would have been but for his personal foibles. Biggio probably will be. And so too, obviously, will Derek Jeter one day.
*Cal Ripken, Brooks Robinson, Dwight Evans, Carl Yastrzemski, Dave Concepcion, Pete Rose, Ty Cobb, Al Kaline, Jeter, Mantle, Willie Mays, Mel Ott, Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks, Luke Appling, Biggio, George Brett, Robin Yount, Mike Schmidt, Roberto Clemente, Tony Gwynn, Stan Musial.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 141
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (143)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)