Aug 29, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
UPDATE: I screwed up: Jeter passed Mantle in yesterday’s game. He tied Mantle on Friday.
Derek Jeter played in the front end of yesterday’s Yankees-Orioles doubleheader. In doing so he played his 2,402nd game as a Yankee. That put him past Mickey Mantle on the all-time Yankees games-played list.
Only 22 men* have appeared in as many as 2,400 games for a single team. All but five of those guys — Dave Concepcion, Pete Rose Dwight Evans, Craig Biggio and Jeter — are in the Hall of Fame. Rose would have been but for his personal foibles. Biggio probably will be. And so too, obviously, will Derek Jeter one day.
*Cal Ripken, Brooks Robinson, Dwight Evans, Carl Yastrzemski, Dave Concepcion, Pete Rose, Ty Cobb, Al Kaline, Jeter, Mantle, Willie Mays, Mel Ott, Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks, Luke Appling, Biggio, George Brett, Robin Yount, Mike Schmidt, Roberto Clemente, Tony Gwynn, Stan Musial.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 22
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 28
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)