Details of Jered Weaver’s five-year, $85 million extension

Aug 29, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT

Jered Weaver, Jeff Mathis

Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times has the year-by-year breakdown of Jered Weaver‘s five-year, $85 million extension with the Angels:

Signing bonus: $1 million
2012: $14 million
2013: $16 million
2014: $16 million
2015: $18 million
2016: $20 million

As part of the contract, which bought out his final season of arbitration and first four seasons of free agency, Weaver also got a full no-trade clause. He’s signed through age 33.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:01 PM

What a waste of money. Weaver is the most overrated player in baseball.

• Jeff M. - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

He is?! I’m fascinated, please do explain why?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM

He’s not in any way whatsoever. I just posted for a high thumbs down total and because I’m an asshole. Of course, two people thumbs upped me, so they either know me too well or are also assholes…or both. Anyway, carry on and feel free to continue to thumbs down this!

• Jeff M. - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM

So. . . you be trolling. Got it.

• donniebb23 - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I don’t know, man. Your namesake may take that title with his .220/.307/.393 line this year…

• FC - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I literally was thinking of this as I posted my troll-y remark. Well played, FC. You’re a mind-reader.

2. clydeserra - Aug 29, 2011 at 5:06 PM

So less than Vernon Wells.

3. Lukehart80 - Aug 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Does anyone know if the natural tendency for contracts to get higher as the years get later is motivated more by teams or by players? My guess is it is largely motivated by the teams, so that they can holds onto more money until further in the future, etc.

It seems to me that with a lot of players it would make sense to front-load them a bit, as the player is likely to be better in the early years, and the team might be better off with more money to work with in their payroll five years down the road.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 29, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I am not 100% on this either, but I suspect the same reasons as those you note. Especially, if your team is called “The Metropolitans”. Just ask Bobby Bonilla.

4. SmackSaw - Aug 29, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Any pitcher that throws across his body will break down sooner rather than later. Weaver has an extreme across the body motion. The contract will be another huge waste of $$. But, Artie Moreno has a ton of it.

5. brockw82 - Aug 29, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Yes, because SmackSaw must be Dr. Andrews.

Three legends off to Cooperstown