Aug 29, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
I saw “Treasure of the Sierra Madre” on a big screen yesterday. Part of some western retrospective at the local quasi-art house theater. Never mind that “Madre” is more of a noir than a western. There are horses, guns and dirt in it, so that works. Either way, it was easily the best Sunday afternoon time waster in a long time. Here’s what else happened (non-hurricane division):
- Barry Bonds’ conviction was upheld. I suppose if the appeals court agrees that we have a new precedent holding that “riffing for 75 seconds before answering a question” is a crime. So that’s neat.
- Vin Scully is coming back for a 63rd season. I guess that means that his evaluations came back OK.
- Tommy Hanson has a small tear in his rotator cuff. I spent all day Saturday on my fainting couch after hearing this.
- Dayan Viciedo got called up.
- Jose Bautista threw stuff onto the field in anger after getting ejected. Cue the “roid rage” column in 3 … 2 … 1…
- Matt Kemp is a 30/30 man.
- Lots of dumb crap went back and forth regarding those hurricane-outs in Baltimore.
- Shocking: Ryan Dempster has decided to accept $14 million from the Cubs for 2012.
- Jim Leyland: “Pitchers shouldn’t be MVP!” Psst! Jim! Your ace is an MVP candidate! “Well, then, I, er, didn’t mean it quite like that.” That ace is the first one to 20 wins, by the way. Fastest to do it in nine years.
- Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Stephen Strasburg!
- Carlos Gonzalez is so bad he should be in detention.
- Gravity is becoming a serious problem at the Ballpark at Arlington.
- Michael Brantley’s season is over. I know you’re tired of hearing about every little Cleveland Indians move, but that’s the old Midwest Bias for ya.
- Oh great. Everything was goin’ so smoothly in Los Angeles and now they have to go and add some acrimonious controversy to the mix. Way to kill a dream season, guys.
OK guys, let’s try to keep this week hurricane and earthquake-free, alright?
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (82)