Aug 29, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
I saw “Treasure of the Sierra Madre” on a big screen yesterday. Part of some western retrospective at the local quasi-art house theater. Never mind that “Madre” is more of a noir than a western. There are horses, guns and dirt in it, so that works. Either way, it was easily the best Sunday afternoon time waster in a long time. Here’s what else happened (non-hurricane division):
- Barry Bonds’ conviction was upheld. I suppose if the appeals court agrees that we have a new precedent holding that “riffing for 75 seconds before answering a question” is a crime. So that’s neat.
- Vin Scully is coming back for a 63rd season. I guess that means that his evaluations came back OK.
- Tommy Hanson has a small tear in his rotator cuff. I spent all day Saturday on my fainting couch after hearing this.
- Dayan Viciedo got called up.
- Jose Bautista threw stuff onto the field in anger after getting ejected. Cue the “roid rage” column in 3 … 2 … 1…
- Matt Kemp is a 30/30 man.
- Lots of dumb crap went back and forth regarding those hurricane-outs in Baltimore.
- Shocking: Ryan Dempster has decided to accept $14 million from the Cubs for 2012.
- Jim Leyland: “Pitchers shouldn’t be MVP!” Psst! Jim! Your ace is an MVP candidate! “Well, then, I, er, didn’t mean it quite like that.” That ace is the first one to 20 wins, by the way. Fastest to do it in nine years.
- Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Stephen Strasburg!
- Carlos Gonzalez is so bad he should be in detention.
- Gravity is becoming a serious problem at the Ballpark at Arlington.
- Michael Brantley’s season is over. I know you’re tired of hearing about every little Cleveland Indians move, but that’s the old Midwest Bias for ya.
- Oh great. Everything was goin’ so smoothly in Los Angeles and now they have to go and add some acrimonious controversy to the mix. Way to kill a dream season, guys.
OK guys, let’s try to keep this week hurricane and earthquake-free, alright?
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 6
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 85
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)